You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail rules not working

I'll try to be brief. Some years ago when it was still allowed, I set up a secondary email address (xxxxx@icloud.com). Over the last six months or so spam to that address has increased and then doubled and tripled. One day there were 78 spam emails between 9am and noon. So I went to look at the email online thinking I could delete that address, except it wasn't anywhere to be found. I called support.

A helpful support person explained that the xxx@icloud.com addresses had been discontinued a good while ago. But, she explained, email addressed to my no-longer-existant email address would still be sent through to my primary email. As if it were an escape hatch.

Why? She couldn't tell me. Could that no-longer-existant email address be deleted? No.

So in theory, a thousand spam emails come addressed to the no-longer-existant email address every day, and they are fed directly into my main address? Yes, she said. That's the case. (I didn't ask why I never received notification that the no-longer-existant email address no longer existed.) First thing, I changed the no-longer-existant email address to the functioning one everywhere on line.

Then I sat down to write an Apple Mail rule. If 'any recipient' contained any part of the no-longer-existant email address, it was to go straight to the trash. I wrote the rule in several stages, the full address and then the address broken down.

At first this seemed to have worked, but now those emails addressed to the no-longer-existant email address have started popping up again.

It feels a little bit like a haunting. What can I do to fix this?

Any help much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 3:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 12:21 AM

Your primary Apple ID that is signed in Mac system preferences could be example1@gmail.com or other , but the mail address say example1@icloud.com is still configured in internet accounts , this account will be shown in your mail application ( IMAP account ) , this mail address is revealed to recipients they can send mails it could be spam or pure mails , definitely they will strike on server and received in mail application .

It depends upon you to stop using this account Use your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support ( select them and click on subtract sign ) or create rules from mail application / also block them Block or unblock senders in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : if you have deleted this mail account from server and thirty days are not crossed the account is slowly being removed ( also its data will start erasing ) , it depends upon you to recover the account by revealing alfa numeric code to apple senior care advisor How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

Note : you mentioned .

A helpful support person explained that the xxx@icloud.com addresses had been discontinued a good while ago.

It means thirty days are not crossed , recover the account once again .

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 24, 2022 12:21 AM in response to Rosina Lippi-Green

Your primary Apple ID that is signed in Mac system preferences could be example1@gmail.com or other , but the mail address say example1@icloud.com is still configured in internet accounts , this account will be shown in your mail application ( IMAP account ) , this mail address is revealed to recipients they can send mails it could be spam or pure mails , definitely they will strike on server and received in mail application .

It depends upon you to stop using this account Use your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support ( select them and click on subtract sign ) or create rules from mail application / also block them Block or unblock senders in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note : if you have deleted this mail account from server and thirty days are not crossed the account is slowly being removed ( also its data will start erasing ) , it depends upon you to recover the account by revealing alfa numeric code to apple senior care advisor How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

Note : you mentioned .

A helpful support person explained that the xxx@icloud.com addresses had been discontinued a good while ago.

It means thirty days are not crossed , recover the account once again .

apple mail rules not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.