You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

menu bar missing from Monterey

Menu bar has disappeared on Late 2015 15 inch MacBook Pro. OS is 12.6.2.

cannot run most programs and cannot force quit finder to reboot it. The OS just never seems to finish booting all the way.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 8:48 AM

6 replies

Dec 26, 2022 9:43 AM in response to BrettBarnes

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Dec 26, 2022 12:37 PM in response to PRP_53

I tried a parallel install that didn’t work so I did the Safe Mode boot and loaded into my localadmin account and that worked fine. My main account worked fine in Safe Mode but when I rebooted into normal mode and it was still messed up. I booted back into safe mode turned off auto sign in and booted to localadmin. I made a new user profile and moved my files over to the new profile and it works fine. Something in the user profile was fubar. Thanks so much for the reply and now I’m curious about running that report.

Dec 26, 2022 1:38 PM in response to BrettBarnes

Good Trouble Shooting work there 👍

When the User ( you ) are ready and time allows, do run the Etrecheck Application.

The Fact that Safe Boot worked fine and using a different account and works fine, it would be interesting to see both the Software and HArdware involved on this machine.

The posting of the Full Report is purely optional as low as you can see what maybe the issue.

Otherwise, posting the report - the more eyes on the report the more chances of spotting the issue.

Either way, respect whatever direction is chosen

Dec 27, 2022 2:20 AM in response to BrettBarnes

Have looked carefully for issues specific to the Menu Bar issue

I only see two possible / maybe culprits.

Problem: Other problem

Description: The menu bar was missing on a profile.

Q1 -  [Running] NetBarrier Extension - version 10.9.14 (INTEGO - 2020-12-11)

Application: /Applications/Intego/NetBarrier.app - version 10.9.14 (Not found!)

Description: System Extension for the NetBarrier IP and Application Firewall

A1 - This Third Party Firewall is the same maker of an Antivirus Package by the same Company.  Unless there is a very specific reason for running this Specific Firewall the builtin Apple Application is plenty enough IMHO

Q2 - Kernel Extensions:

/Applications/TechTool Pro 8.app

[Not Loaded] spdKernel.kext - com.micromat.driver.spdKernel (1.0 - SDK 10.11)

[Not Loaded] spdKernel_10.8.kext - com.micromat.driver.spdKernel-10-8 (1.0 - SDK 10.8)

Q2 - TechTool Protection (Micromat, Inc. - installed 2017-03-06)

A2 - Have seen some other users using this Software, rarely but sometimes. This version looks somewhat outdated and current version is 16.

This could be a element of the Odd Menu Bar issue but a guess at best

A2 - Refer to external link below

https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro/

menu bar missing from Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.