You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro randomly and suddenly restarts by itself

I previously purchased four Macintosh computers before I purchased My Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. The 2010 machine randomly and suddenly restarts by itself. It began acting up about 4 or 5 years after I purchased it in 2010. At first it would randomly restart once a month and within about two more years of service it would restart about once every 2 hours. So annoying.

I called Apple many times and the only answer they had was for me to reinstall my OS. I did reinstall it a few times but that never fixed the problem. I must have called Apple Tech Support about 120 times but they had no answer except to tell me that it is an old machine and that I should spend another $2500 and buy a replacement.

Back around 2017 (after I had complained to Apple many many times asking them to replace me machine) Apple issued a recall of any 2011 through 2018 MacBook Pros that had the same problem that my machine had. They conveniently excluded all 2010 and earlier models from the recall. SON OF A B****.

Oh yeah? I refuse to buy another MacBook Pro for the rest of my life.

No matter what I did or said, Apple would not budge and would not recall my 2010 piece of garbage under any circumstances.

What is an honest computer user to do when battling the Goliath -- Apple???

Be forewarned everybody.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 8:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:53 AM

JoeTum wrote:

I previously purchased four Macintosh computers before I purchased My Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. The 2010 machine randomly and suddenly restarts by itself. It began acting up about 4 or 5 years after I purchased it in 2010.

At first it would randomly restart once a month and within about two more years of service it would restart about once every 2 hours. So annoying.

I called Apple many times and the only answer they had was for me to reinstall my OS. I did reinstall it a few times but that never fixed the problem.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

start by Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

— SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2022 10:53 AM in response to JoeTum

JoeTum wrote:

I previously purchased four Macintosh computers before I purchased My Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. The 2010 machine randomly and suddenly restarts by itself. It began acting up about 4 or 5 years after I purchased it in 2010.

At first it would randomly restart once a month and within about two more years of service it would restart about once every 2 hours. So annoying.

I called Apple many times and the only answer they had was for me to reinstall my OS. I did reinstall it a few times but that never fixed the problem.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

start by Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

— SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Dec 27, 2022 11:01 AM in response to JoeTum

You are 'a guest in Apple's house' when you post here. You need to try to keep you comments technical, direct, and to the point, and refrain from character assassination.

If you would like help from Readers here, please post the report from this little "discovery" program, Etrecheck, developed by a senior contributor to the forums.

It is used to discover what is happening inside your Mac. The report is pre-laundered of any personally identifiable information (to protect you). Even the names of drives are anonymized (except for 'Macintosh HD')

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro randomly and suddenly restarts by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.