You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hooking up a monitor to MacBook Pro

I am trying to download the drivers from ASUS ProArt monitors but Apple will not allow download. Is this legit? How do I work around this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 4:49 PM

There is no way and no need.

What PC users call "Drivers" is actually no more that a profile that includes a few settings, and nothing more. On a PC, it can be a Big Deal. On a Mac it is COMPLETELY beside the point.

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 27, 2022 4:49 PM in response to f-stop22

There is no way and no need.

What PC users call "Drivers" is actually no more that a profile that includes a few settings, and nothing more. On a PC, it can be a Big Deal. On a Mac it is COMPLETELY beside the point.

The Mac uses a system that reminds me of “Plug and play” to determine what display is connected, and what its capabilities are.

To get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• hold the Option key while you click on the (Detect Display) button that will appear in Displays preferences (from another display)

Hooking up a monitor to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.