You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t I backup without connecting to a power source

Can i backup without connecting to a power source

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 8:24 PM

If you mean the automatic overnight iCloud back up, no, you need to be connected to a power source. Your phone needs to be plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi. But, as it’s best practice to plug your phone in overnight, it all works out.

Automatically back up with iCloud Backup

1. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Connect your device to a power source.
  3. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  4. Make sure that your device's screen is locked.
  5. If you get an alert says that you don't have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to buy more storage.

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2022 8:24 PM in response to shiru96

If you mean the automatic overnight iCloud back up, no, you need to be connected to a power source. Your phone needs to be plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi. But, as it’s best practice to plug your phone in overnight, it all works out.

Automatically back up with iCloud Backup

1. Make sure that iCloud Backup is turned on in Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup.
  2. Connect your device to a power source.
  3. Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network.
  4. Make sure that your device's screen is locked.
  5. If you get an alert says that you don't have enough iCloud storage space to complete the backup, follow the onscreen steps to buy more storage.

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

Can’t I backup without connecting to a power source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.