You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an Apple Watch with LTE work without a phone using a standalone plan?

I have the Apple Watch Ultra and signed up and added it to a Verizon standalone plan. I have not been able to get the Watch to work on cellular without using numbershare. I would like to use a separate a number and service plan for my watch, so far the only way I was able to get cellular service on the Watch was by setting it as a for family. Does anyone have same issue or solution?

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 5:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 8:19 PM

I think that you've discovered the only way that an Watch can have a number of its own is when it's set up as a family member's watch. And that limits the functions the watch can perform.

Otherwise, an Watch needs to be paired to an iPhone and both devices use the iPhone's number.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.1; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.2; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.2; HomePods, audioOS 16.2 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2022 8:19 PM in response to iWatcherJ

I think that you've discovered the only way that an Watch can have a number of its own is when it's set up as a family member's watch. And that limits the functions the watch can perform.

Otherwise, an Watch needs to be paired to an iPhone and both devices use the iPhone's number.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 13.1; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9.2; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 16.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16.2; HomePods, audioOS 16.2 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Can an Apple Watch with LTE work without a phone using a standalone plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.