You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase everything on my old computer.

How do I erase all content on my old computer?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2022 2:14 PM

In computer tech (file-system level) internals ...

ERASE / DELETE means : deleting only the 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content remains intact , DATA-RECOVERY is possible easily to get that file.

WIPE means : deleting each bits of a file, then delete 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content is gone or zeroed, general DATA-RECOVERY is NOT possible to get that file.

Erase is faster, but Wiping takes longer time.

If a utility/tool gives option to WIPE during ERASE, then choose that if you want to really/completely delete it.

So, take steps, based on what you want to do/achieve.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (AppleSilicon ~= apple ARM M1/M2 etc).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Doing a FACTORY-RESET is another option, allows to start everything from (almost) new.

During factory-reset (see below link), you can run Disk Utility & ERASE all with WIPE option enabled.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Be ready to provide your internet wifi base-station ID/name & password, etc , to (down)-load the default factory macOS or new macOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2022 2:14 PM in response to JCPCCP

In computer tech (file-system level) internals ...

ERASE / DELETE means : deleting only the 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content remains intact , DATA-RECOVERY is possible easily to get that file.

WIPE means : deleting each bits of a file, then delete 1st two bytes of filename in file-system,

entire file's content is gone or zeroed, general DATA-RECOVERY is NOT possible to get that file.

Erase is faster, but Wiping takes longer time.

If a utility/tool gives option to WIPE during ERASE, then choose that if you want to really/completely delete it.

So, take steps, based on what you want to do/achieve.

Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (AppleSilicon ~= apple ARM M1/M2 etc).

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Doing a FACTORY-RESET is another option, allows to start everything from (almost) new.

During factory-reset (see below link), you can run Disk Utility & ERASE all with WIPE option enabled.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Be ready to provide your internet wifi base-station ID/name & password, etc , to (down)-load the default factory macOS or new macOS.

How do I erase everything on my old computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.