You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accent menu not appearing

I have a new MacBook Air and it started working normally, but the accents menu - which used to appear when you hold a keyboard key down in order to select which accent you want - has stopped appearing and I cannot create accents anymore. I saw a previous conversation where someone was helped with a Terminal command

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

but it does not work for me. Any ideas? Thanks...

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 5:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 6:11 PM

Make sure your input source is set to "US"

Make sure you do not have Webroot on your machine

Make sure your key repeat is not set to Off and that your delay is not set too long (system settings/keyboard/keyboard)

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 2, 2023 4:38 PM in response to YetAnotherDavidcanyoubelieveit

Greetings YetAnotherDavidcanyoubelieveit, 

We’re thinking you’re talking about entering characters with accent marks by pressing and holding the key. This is a functionality that is available in some apps, though not all. 

Let’s work on a few things to isolate the issue though. Testing in safe mode will help to rule out issues that could be caused by software that launches when you start up, and testing in a new user account will determine if the issue is system-wide or specific to your user account. The results will help work out the next best steps.

First, let’s boot to safe mode and test - How to use safe mode on your Mac

Then, we’d also like to have you test in a new user on your Mac - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know the results.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Accent menu not appearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.