You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't delete invitee from shared Photos album

I shared an album of videos. I invited a person unintentionally. I cannot remove that person from the list of invitees. After encountering this issue I tried to delete others that I intended to invite, and could not delete them either.

What I have tried is click to select the name, then <Delete Key>. Or click on down arrow in name box and chose Remove Subscriber. Or I clicked to select the name just to the right of the name to be deleted, then <Left arrow><Delete Key><Delete Key>. In Photos Preferences I turned off Sharing, waited, turned Sharing back on. Same result. I restarted Photos. Same result. I restarted my computer. Same result. I Option-Restarted Photos and created a new library, then Option-Restarted again and opened the library with the shared folder. Same result.

In the past I have removed invitees with no problem. I think this looks like a bug in Photos Version 7.0 (460.0.120), macOS 12.6.2 (21G320) on my MacBookPro18,2.

Have I missed something that will let me remove an email address from the list of invitees to a Photos Shared Album?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 1, 2023 9:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 11:09 AM

Thank you GrumpyOldDude.

I do not have an iPad so I tried your suggestion using my iPhone. It worked! As well as clicking the three dots to get Shared Album details, in iOS on the iPhone, after selecting the Shared Album at the top is an icon showing a circle enclosing a figure. Clicking this opens a list of subscribers. The when the unwanted subscriber is selected their contact card is opened, and scrolling to the bottom reveals a Remove Subscribe command which works.

This is the best answer, since it provides a simple way for the user correct the mistake. Unfortunately, the "best answer" title has already been assigned to léonie's suggestion to delete the album and start over, and there seems to be no way to change the designation.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2023 11:09 AM in response to GrumpyOldDude

Thank you GrumpyOldDude.

I do not have an iPad so I tried your suggestion using my iPhone. It worked! As well as clicking the three dots to get Shared Album details, in iOS on the iPhone, after selecting the Shared Album at the top is an icon showing a circle enclosing a figure. Clicking this opens a list of subscribers. The when the unwanted subscriber is selected their contact card is opened, and scrolling to the bottom reveals a Remove Subscribe command which works.

This is the best answer, since it provides a simple way for the user correct the mistake. Unfortunately, the "best answer" title has already been assigned to léonie's suggestion to delete the album and start over, and there seems to be no way to change the designation.

Jan 19, 2023 7:57 PM in response to Tom Ritch

I was able to delete the invitation by going into my iPad (IOS v16.2), opening Photos, selecting that Shared Album > tap the three dots in the upper right > in the menu that comes down selecting Shared Album Details, then selecting the name of the person I wanted to delete. In my case a Contact Card popped up (since they are in my Contacts) and down near the bottom of that there is a Remove Subscribe command.

Don't know what will display is the person is not in your contacts.

Jan 2, 2023 6:11 PM in response to Tom Ritch

Hello Tom Ritch,

Let's start off by checking the helpful steps in this article which can help with this issue: Add or remove subscribers to shared albums in Photos on Mac. Follow this guidance:

"Add and remove subscribers to a shared album

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click a shared album under Shared Albums in the sidebar.
      2. Click the Collaborate button in the toolbar.
      3. In the Invite People field, do one of the following:
      • Invite a new subscriber: Type an email address.
      • If the person you’re inviting doesn’t use iCloud, you can select the Public Website checkbox to create a URL for your shared album. Anyone with this URL can view and download the shared album’s contents.
      • Remove a subscriber: Select the subscriber’s email address, then press Delete.
      • Re-invite a subscriber: Click the down arrow beside the subscriber’s name and choose Resend Invitation.
      1. Click in the toolbar or select a different shared album.

When you invite (or re-invite) someone to view a shared album, the person receives an email asking them to subscribe."

If these steps are not working as expected, please restart your Mac and try again: Shut down or restart your Mac.

Let us know if we can help with anything else at all or if this doesn't settle your issue so we can look into this further with you. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Jan 7, 2023 9:24 AM in response to Tom Ritch

Tom, give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 8, 2023 8:14 AM in response to Tom Ritch

Currently (I am running macOS 13 Ventura) none of the options to remove a subscriber is working for me on any of my three Macs with Ventura.

If all fails, delete the complete Shared album and recreate it, then invite the subscribers again, but minus the one you did not want to invite.

I can only remove a subscriber from the Shared Albums, that have never been published as a public web site.

can't delete invitee from shared Photos album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.