You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't collaborate using Pages 12.1 and MacOS 11.7.2

I've seen another post that insists Pages 12 + MacOS 11 is the minimum requirement for collaboration, but despite meeting/exceeding both of these requirements, I'm still seeing a message saying:

Can't Collaborate

To collaborate, you'll need to use Pages on iCloud.com or Pages on a newer Mac.

Ultimately, I really just want Pages to let me sync to iCloud so I can readily access and work on my writing projects, but I don't seem to be able to do so. It would be REALLY disappointing if Apple has decided that I can't sync to iCloud just because I haven't dropped a thousand plus on new hardware.

If I can't restore this, then I guess I'll have to abandon Pages and move over to Office since that doesn't seem to care too much about my platform.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 9:41 PM

3 replies

Jan 3, 2023 7:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Well, that's disappointing, but not terribly surprising.

It's hard to imagine there's an actual technology issue behind preventing users from syncing their Pages docs to iCloud, but that's what this is doing for me.

I know my hardware is old, but it's functional - this leaves a pretty foul taste in my mouth, and is definitely going to drive me away from getting another Apple product for my mobile computing needs since this seems to be a cash grab more than anything else. ESPECIALLY since Monterey was only released about a year ago.

*shrug* What ya gonna do, I guess.

Thanks for the updated info, I appreciate it!

Jan 3, 2023 8:10 AM in response to unp3rs0n

Just because you are on a Mac does not mean that you have to use Pages, Numbers, or Keynote. It is those product teams that decide to incorporate newer operating system features that are not backward compatible with older macOS releases. This behavior has been ongoing since Apple ceased distributing the iWork '09 Suite in 2013.

That said, you can use your existing Mac until it simply fails, providing you are using non-Apple tools that are still supported on that operating system. I hesitate to suggest Office 2021 for Mac (even at $30) as this (2023) Fall, Microsoft will drop support for Big Sur (which ends Office updates). However, Softmaker has their Office 2021 for Mac (free trial, purchase or subscribe) that is supported on macOS Big Sur and later, Windows, and Linux. That might be an alternative with less learning curve than the free LibreOffce.

Can't collaborate using Pages 12.1 and MacOS 11.7.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.