You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use a checkbox to highlight a different cell in the spreadsheet

Good Day,

I want to use a checkbox to alter the highlighting of a cell. Typically the Checkbox can be used to alter the highlight color (or style formatting really) of the Cell the checkbox is located in. However, I would like to have a cell that is called "Balance" with a rational dollar value in it. Next to this cell will be two (2) other cells, each with a check box (First Checkbox will be "Paid", second checkbox will be "Cleared"). If the first checkbox is empty the "Balance" cell will be Teal color, if the first checkbox is checked the "Balance" cell will be Green color, and if the second checkbox is checked the "Balance" cell will be Yellow color. I've done this pretty simply in Excel, however Numbers doesn't appear to allow conditional highlighting of "other" cells.

thank you for any pointers folks might have....

P.S. I did search for this, but the results dealt with this problem in some unusual ways and or had other conditions that needed to be built in.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 11:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 4:51 PM

Hi Helix4021,

Unfortunately the conditional highlighting in Numbers has some limitations.

You can not do the same things as in Excel, but you can work with "support cells" to get close if you have only small tables.

Here an example:

Column D & E are the "support columns" and contain a simple IF function, as soon as the check mark is set the value from column A will be used.

Conditional highlighting is done based on the "support cells"

You can hide column D & E.

You should send a feedback to the Apple team and explain why this option should be added to one of the next updates.

Product Feedback - Apple

Regards Ralf

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2023 4:51 PM in response to Helix4021

Hi Helix4021,

Unfortunately the conditional highlighting in Numbers has some limitations.

You can not do the same things as in Excel, but you can work with "support cells" to get close if you have only small tables.

Here an example:

Column D & E are the "support columns" and contain a simple IF function, as soon as the check mark is set the value from column A will be used.

Conditional highlighting is done based on the "support cells"

You can hide column D & E.

You should send a feedback to the Apple team and explain why this option should be added to one of the next updates.

Product Feedback - Apple

Regards Ralf

How can I use a checkbox to highlight a different cell in the spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.