You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update safari browser without updating mac os

Hi all,

I would like to update Safari to the latest version without updating the MacOS. I am currently using Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 (I use my mac for music and cannot update for software purposes). The App store doesn't have a version of Safari to download. Is this possible to do? Thanks for any assistance.

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:44 PM

There is no option to do that.

If you can't or don't want to upgrade macOS, you should seriously consider, for security reasons, using a 3rd party internet browser that supports running their latest version with High Sierra. One option is Chrome.

3 replies

Jan 5, 2023 12:05 AM in response to safarihelp2023

You can update Safari with the command line, if you're comfortable with it. First, open Terminal.

1. Paste the below command exactly as shown, then press Return. Wait until it finishes checking for updates.

softwareupdate -l -a | grep -i Safari

2. Then, look at the output under the 'Label' field. It should be similar to this:

* Label: Safari16.2[Your-macOS-Version]Auto-16.2 

3. Copy the label, then place it in the below command as shown, replacing the part in curly brackets with the label.

softwareupdate -i {The entire label from the previous command}

This should quit Safari, if open, then update it.

how do i update safari browser without updating mac os

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.