You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

times machine backups

I have been using time machine backups to back up my Mac and connected usb hubs with external drives/usb thumb drive etc for a number of years. what is the correct way to remove old usb devices from the backups

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 6:32 PM

I'm not sure if you want to stop using a particular USB drive as a backup device, or to stop Time Machine from backing up an external drive. In either case the solutions are addressed in Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support.

Respectively,

• To select, add, or remove backup disks, click Select Disk (if you use just one Time Machine backup disk) or Add or Remove Backup Disk (if you use more than one TM backup disk).
  • Exclude these items from backups: Exclude files from a backup to save space on your backup disk, or to exclude items you back up using another method. By default Time Machine backs up all mounted disks. To prevent an external hard disk drive from being backed up, select it, then click the Add + button to add it to Time Machine's exclusions list.
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2023 6:32 PM in response to robert_coady

I'm not sure if you want to stop using a particular USB drive as a backup device, or to stop Time Machine from backing up an external drive. In either case the solutions are addressed in Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support.

Respectively,

• To select, add, or remove backup disks, click Select Disk (if you use just one Time Machine backup disk) or Add or Remove Backup Disk (if you use more than one TM backup disk).
  • Exclude these items from backups: Exclude files from a backup to save space on your backup disk, or to exclude items you back up using another method. By default Time Machine backs up all mounted disks. To prevent an external hard disk drive from being backed up, select it, then click the Add + button to add it to Time Machine's exclusions list.

Jan 6, 2023 1:20 PM in response to robert_coady

Do not attempt to delete anything from the Time Machine backup. Just add that USB disk to Time Machine's exclusions list, as explained in Exclude files from a Time Machine backup on Mac - Apple Support. If you do that, Time Machine will eventually delete its backed up files when newer backups need the space they occupy.

If you don't want to do that then erase the entire backup disk. In any case make no attempt to delete those old backed up files manually. Doing so will corrupt the backup, and you will need to erase the backup disk anyway.

times machine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.