You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set a folder up to sync to icloud but also stay on hard drive

Hi. I have a folder in Documents that is synced to iCloud. I have Power BI projects in it that use Parallels for Power BI. While I'm working on a report the folder seems to repeatedly sync to iCloud and become unavailable on my local drive. When Power BI goes to look for data files, they aren't there and it does not have access to iCloud. And it also saves as a copy any time I save and the original file isn't local. (image 1)

Maybe it's something I can set up, but regardless, how to I get files to be in both places? Interestingly, some of the files in Documents don't seem to get the little cloud next to them. You can see in the image that some files only seem to be local... (image 2)

Also, what is the difference between the dotted line cloud and the download cloud, or what is the dotted line cloud for? (image 2)

Image 1, multiple copies

Image 2, the problem and dotted clouds

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 2:56 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 6, 2023 2:58 PM in response to brushwood

Hi brushwood,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! As noted in the following guide:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

"When you add your Desktop and Documents to iCloud Drive, all of your files move to iCloud and any new files you create are automatically stored in iCloud too. Then you can find your files on all of your devices.
Your files upload to iCloud each time your device connects to the internet. Depending on your internet speed, the time it takes for you to see your files on your other devices might vary."

If you want to use the file or make edits, just click to download it. When you're done making edits, upload the file to iCloud Drive to see the latest version everywhere.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

How do I set a folder up to sync to icloud but also stay on hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.