You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop iCloud Automatic Downloads w/Optimize Mac Storage off?

How do I turn on iCloud Drive on my MBP without it automatically downloading files?

Why does it do this? My files are completely uploaded to iCloud and I would like to be able to browse in Finder without it automatically downloading files, then choosing what I would like to download.

• I have "Optimize Mac Storage" off
  • When I turn iCloud on it begins automatically downloading a bunch/most/all of my files
    • Currently have 2TB iCloud, currently using ~ 700 GB
    • MBP is 1TB
  • Currently turned iCloud Drive off to stop this process

Home internet data caps make this issue more frustrating.

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2023 5:39 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 5, 2023 6:21 PM in response to scs225

You don’t. iCloud is primarily a synchronization service to keep your files in sync across your devices. If you need pure offline storage, this may not be the best option for you. You can elect to optimize storage on your Mac which will offload the oldest/largest files should space become needed on the Mac

Jan 10, 2023 3:53 PM in response to muguy

Thanks for the response.

Even when iCloud behavior on iPadOS and iOS don’t do this? I would hope it would be consistent across devices.

I do have my files backed up locally on an external drive but wanted iCloud for convenient access.

I want the files to mainly be in iCloud (online), where in my workflow I can back up files at my choosing to a local drive. If this isn’t possible without iCloud chewing through my data allotment, another cloud service may be best for me.

Stop iCloud Automatic Downloads w/Optimize Mac Storage off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.