You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore deleted trash and junk folders in Apple Mail client

I seem to have accidentally deleted my Trash and Junk folders in the Apple Mail client. I am not aware of doing that, but they have both disappeared from the folder list on the left side of the Apple Mail main window. How can I get them back?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 7:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2023 8:01 PM

akusantafe Said:

"How to restore deleted trash and junk folders in Apple Mail client: I seem to have accidentally deleted my Trash and Junk folders in the Apple Mail client. I am not aware of doing that, but they have both disappeared from the folder list on the left side of the Apple Mail main window. How can I get them back?"

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Mail Folders:

Reinstall the macOS:

Mail is part of the macOS. So, one option would be to reinstall the macOS to fix any bugs in this app. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].  Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2023 8:01 PM in response to akusantafe

akusantafe Said:

"How to restore deleted trash and junk folders in Apple Mail client: I seem to have accidentally deleted my Trash and Junk folders in the Apple Mail client. I am not aware of doing that, but they have both disappeared from the folder list on the left side of the Apple Mail main window. How can I get them back?"

-------

Troubleshooting Lost Mail Folders:

Reinstall the macOS:

Mail is part of the macOS. So, one option would be to reinstall the macOS to fix any bugs in this app. Nothing would be lost. It's just that misplaced items would be placed back to where they should be and corrupt system files would be replaced by clean files. Go Here: Reinstall macOS - Apple Support. Use the third bulleted method: [command + r].  Important: Prior to installing an update or performing a reinstallation, to prevent data loss, be sure to Back up your Mac with Time Machine.

Jan 8, 2023 7:49 PM in response to akusantafe

Start with this of M1 or M2 Mac...

Start up a Mac with Apple silicon in safe mode

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until the startup options window appears showing available startup disks and Options.

Select a startup disk.

Press and hold the Shift key, click Continue in Safe Mode, then release the Shift key.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac normally, without pressing and holding any keys during startup.

Start with this if IntelMac...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

In a Browser Login to your WebMail & create them, but also look & see if they accidentally got dragged into another folder.

Jan 11, 2023 10:54 AM in response to TheLittles

Thank you, TheLittles, for answering my query right away. I had to wait for a time when it was convenient to backup and reinstall, and hence my delay in responding. The reinstall of MacOS did restore the Trash and Junk folders to all mail accounts, and it's great to know that the reinstall does not disturb data files at all in most cases!

Your help is appreciated!

How to restore deleted trash and junk folders in Apple Mail client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.