You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't Apple Watch detect heart attacks?

Seems like that would be incredibly valuable. I guess the lawyers got involved. I'm not a cardiologist, but I do have afib and wonder if there are other abnormal heart rhythms that could portend an attack that the watch could detect.

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 12:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 12:35 PM

Apple is specific that Apple Watch cannot detect heart attacks. Based on current technology, there are NO wearable or consumer ECG products on the market which can reliably diagnose a heart attack (myocardial infarction or MI). Apple watch can read ECG, with a degree of accuracy and let you know if you have experienced an AFIB situation. But to expect an Apple Watch to reliably diagnose a heart attack is not possible.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 12:35 PM in response to scragin

Apple is specific that Apple Watch cannot detect heart attacks. Based on current technology, there are NO wearable or consumer ECG products on the market which can reliably diagnose a heart attack (myocardial infarction or MI). Apple watch can read ECG, with a degree of accuracy and let you know if you have experienced an AFIB situation. But to expect an Apple Watch to reliably diagnose a heart attack is not possible.

Jan 9, 2023 12:35 PM in response to scragin

No one here would know why Apple doesn't have such a feature available on the Watch. And, speculation about unannounced features is prohibited.

You can let Apple know that it's something you're interested in here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Personally, I wouldn't want Apple to release something like that unless they were very certain it would work. Imagine how awful it would be if the Watch didn't detect the heart attack and someone was relying on it and didn't go to the ER until it was possibly too late.

Until Apple should provide such a feature, make sure you and the people around you know the symptoms of a heart attack:

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/heart_attack.htm

Why doesn't Apple Watch detect heart attacks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.