You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook not allowing 60hz refresh rate

Hi,

I am hoping that someone here has the Mac knowledge that I couldn't get when I called apple. I have a late 2015 MacBook pro running Monterey 12.6.2. I recently bought a Samsung M7 4k (specs here) monitor for my work as an editor. I haven't been able to get my Mac to allow this to work at a 60hz refresh rate (which the monitor is capable of), even when I lower the resolution (which I ideally would not have to do) or change from using my HDMI input to using an adaptor to plug into my thunderbolt input. Right now this isn't usable for work because my Mac will only allow it to operate at a 30hz refresh rate, which is too laggy for video. This Mac is able to accommodate up to a 72hz refresh rate, which it used to do with my old hp monitor, which was a much lower resolution.

When I called apple for support, they essentially told my my computer was too old. Is this true? Are there fixes to get this new monitor to run a 60hz? I have tried EasyRes with no success so far. Thanks,

Gina

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 2:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 3:24 PM

your computer:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 5120x2160*

Details:* This model can support a single external display up to 5120x2160 at 60 Hz via Thunderbolt 2.

Via HDMI video output, it can support 1080p up to 60 Hz, 3840x2160 at 30 Hz, and 4096x2160 at 24 Hz.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.5-15-dual-graphics-mid-2015-retina-display-specs.html

so its built-in HDMI output can not support that display DIRECTLY at a high refresh rate.

<< change from using my HDMI input to using an adaptor to plug into my thunderbolt input. >>

NB>> You can't just choose any old adapter. You would need to use an adapter capable of HDMI 2.0 and certified cables labeled 48G to attain that resolution.

the way the display-maker works around that is by having TWO HDMI inputs, each of which can support one half of the screen, the recombine them. But your computer won't do that.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2023 3:24 PM in response to Gina_V

your computer:

2nd Display Support: Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution: 5120x2160*

Details:* This model can support a single external display up to 5120x2160 at 60 Hz via Thunderbolt 2.

Via HDMI video output, it can support 1080p up to 60 Hz, 3840x2160 at 30 Hz, and 4096x2160 at 24 Hz.

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.5-15-dual-graphics-mid-2015-retina-display-specs.html

so its built-in HDMI output can not support that display DIRECTLY at a high refresh rate.

<< change from using my HDMI input to using an adaptor to plug into my thunderbolt input. >>

NB>> You can't just choose any old adapter. You would need to use an adapter capable of HDMI 2.0 and certified cables labeled 48G to attain that resolution.

the way the display-maker works around that is by having TWO HDMI inputs, each of which can support one half of the screen, the recombine them. But your computer won't do that.

Jan 9, 2023 5:38 PM in response to Gina_V

<< Is it a viable solution to buy an HDMI 2.0/48g capable adapter to get it to work at 60 hz? >>

That is your only possible solution on the computer you have -- switch up to HDMI 2.0 adapters and high-end cables.

HDMI was invented for consumer-level displays, and its use at higher resolutions than 720p requires a LOT of fiddling that resembles black magic.

The display maker also allows a different solution, not available to you, that does not compete in any way with what you want, that uses two cables. Those two cables could be using only the less-strenuous HDMI 1.4, and would not require such a high end adapter.

Jan 9, 2023 4:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your help, I'm having some trouble understanding the last part of your answer. Is it a viable solution to buy an HDMI 2.0/48g capable adapter to get it to work at 60 hz? I am confused about the two hdmi inputs combining into one, is that something that is affecting the refresh rate that would make this impossible to fix?

Macbook not allowing 60hz refresh rate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.