You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change my MacBook username

When I set up my MacBook I didn’t realise that I misspelt my name… obviously caught a key 🙄 however my home folder name is what I want my username to be. How can I change my username so it’s the same as my home folder name?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 11:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 1:14 AM

Follow the steps in this article, but make sure to back up your Mac before you start:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

2 replies

Jan 16, 2023 4:42 AM in response to Ingo2711

Problem solved… for example-

if my name was Catherine Surname and every device has Cath as my name but setting up my Mac I decided to use my full name then I changed my mind. However the home folder kept cathsurname so all I did was sec click on my administrated name and about halfway down where my full name was I changed that and my username changed too. No messing about with a new account or anything 😃

Change my MacBook username

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.