You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not delete applications! MacBook Air M1 Ventura

Tonight I upgraded to an M1 MacBook Air (Ventura) from my older Intel MacBook Pro (Monterey), and I can NOT delete apps (non-iLife/non-mandatory Apple) on the new Mac like I could on my older Mac. (Is this Ventura, M1, or both? Or neither? I have been a Mac user for 20 years, but now I am just lost...)

What I've tried:

-pressing and holding icons - via Launchpad and the Applications folder. The icons jiggle, but there is no "x."

-dragging them to the trash, but that does nothing.

-going into terminal and submitting some simple code, nothing.

-"viewing contents" (inside the application files) and looking for uninstallation files, but there are none.

Thoughts?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2023 8:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 7:33 PM

Okay, I'll bite. Here's a question: why? Because "Stocks" (for one) is not an integral part of my OS, it doesn't contribute to ensure my computer runs more smoothly, nor does it keep out offenders, it doesn't improve graphics or my processor's speed, it is unrelated to every and anything I do or have interest in, and yet, this irrelevant program MUST STAY on MY computer because Apple wants it there, and that is the only reason? Sorry for being curious and a little annoyed (with Apple), but I have to wonder for those that don't, "why?" and also, "what's up their sleeve?"

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2023 7:33 PM in response to Barney-15E

Okay, I'll bite. Here's a question: why? Because "Stocks" (for one) is not an integral part of my OS, it doesn't contribute to ensure my computer runs more smoothly, nor does it keep out offenders, it doesn't improve graphics or my processor's speed, it is unrelated to every and anything I do or have interest in, and yet, this irrelevant program MUST STAY on MY computer because Apple wants it there, and that is the only reason? Sorry for being curious and a little annoyed (with Apple), but I have to wonder for those that don't, "why?" and also, "what's up their sleeve?"

Jan 12, 2023 12:03 PM in response to mbpro15terrors

mbpro15terrors wrote:

Again, I am not new to Mac, I want to remove things that I wouldn't use AND the system doesn't use, either. No harm done. (I will never use Home, Tips, Health, Podcasts, Voice Memos, Stocks, News, or TV, and I have never had a problem deleting them.) According to Apple, these are the things I should• be able to delete:

Activity
• Apple Books
• Apple TV
• Calculator
• Calendar
• Clock
• Compass
• Contacts
• FaceTime
• Files
• Find My
• Health
• Home
• iTunes Store
• Mail
• Maps
• Measure
• Music
• News
• Notes
• Podcasts
• Reminders
• Shortcuts
• Stocks
• Tips
• Translate
• TV
• Voice Memos
• Wallet
• Watch app
• Weather

There is not one on that list that I can delete on this device.

They are all stored on a Read Only volume. No write access, and deleting is a write activity to the Folder they are in, and the metadata that tracks the file.

You can express your opinion to Apple at:

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Jan 11, 2023 8:44 PM in response to Barney-15E

Again, I am not new to Mac, I want to remove things that I wouldn't use AND the system doesn't use, either. No harm done. (I will never use Home, Tips, Health, Podcasts, Voice Memos, Stocks, News, or TV, and I have never had a problem deleting them.) According to Apple, these are the things I should be able to delete:

• Activity
  • Apple Books
  • Apple TV
  • Calculator
  • Calendar
  • Clock
  • Compass
  • Contacts
  • FaceTime
  • Files
  • Find My
  • Health
  • Home
  • iTunes Store
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Measure
  • Music
  • News
  • Notes
  • Podcasts
  • Reminders
  • Shortcuts
  • Stocks
  • Tips
  • Translate
  • TV
  • Voice Memos
  • Wallet
  • Watch app
  • Weather

There is not one on that list that I can delete on this device.

Feb 28, 2023 9:19 AM in response to mbpro15terrors

In different words from Barney-15E, you "License" the operating system. And like most people we all click through the "License" agreement when we do a macOS install, without reading it.

Technically it is possible to mess with the read-only volume, but it is very geeky and requries experimentation, and googling, and lots of very low level terminal stuff. I've seen some descriptions of what needs to be done, but since I do not care to really learn how to do it myself, I just skimmed it and move on.

If you choose to take the experimentation route, then make sure you have lots of up-to-date backups, because Murphy's Law is unforgiving.

Can not delete applications! MacBook Air M1 Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.