You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory stick creating extra files while transfering data from iMac to PC

Just got new iMac and while I move files to USB memory stick everything looks okay. When I remove the stick and insert it to PC it shows double files keeping the originals and adding ._ in the beginning of each file. For example if the original file name is "Cover.png", the double file is "._Cover.png". Never happened before. I tried multiple memory sticks. Always the same. This means if I transfer for example 100 files in a folder from iMac, the result is having 200 files in the same folder on the PC. Means I have to erase all the extra stuff manually. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 8:45 AM

Run the following before ejecting the USB Stick from the Mac. It will remove the dot_underbar files on it. I am using USBStickName here as an alias to your mounted stick name:

/usr/sbin/dot_clean -m /Volumes/USBStickName

4 replies

Memory stick creating extra files while transfering data from iMac to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.