You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21,5" - as extermal monitor

Hi,

i have iMac 21,5" (year 2015) running BigSur MacOs and I want to use it as external monitor.

Before, i had MacBook Pro 13" (2018) and I could use my iMac as external monitor via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter once I pressed command+f2 keys.

But in October I upgraded from MacBook Pro 13" to MacBook Pro 14" (2021).

And with the new laptop this is not working anymore. I connected iMac and new MacBook Pro and with pressing on command+f2 nothing happens.

Is it possible, that this feature is not working on M1 Pro procesors or am I missing something. Is there any other solutions in using iMac as external monitor for M1 Pro processor Macs?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 9:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2023 9:29 AM

The new Mac's and the latest macOS versions, no longer support Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

The only solutions are third party ones like Luna Display or Duet Display.

3 replies

iMac 21,5" - as extermal monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.