You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message not enough memory to install OS Ventura 13.1 on my MAC 2021

Trying to install OS Ventura 13.1 2021 model MAC. Installation box on screen tells me I need 12.69 GB memory. My computer has 200 GB memory. I am only using 25GB. So why the message? What to do?

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2023 1:31 PM

That's not memory but storage space.

Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and and try downloading and installing the update from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2023 1:31 PM in response to Geezervette

That's not memory but storage space.

Boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and and try downloading and installing the update from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Jan 13, 2023 2:31 PM in response to Geezervette

There is a Difference between " Purgeable Storage " and " Empty Space " on the Internal Drive.

Purgeable Storage is managed by the Operating System.

It will be eventually released back as Empty Space when the Operating System decides the space is needed for repurpose

The Repurpose can even become Empty Space and may take a day or two before it become available again Empty Space.

Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive 

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other/ System Data “ Category

Other / System Data: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Addition as pervious contributor @ Old Toad mentioned.

RAM = Random Access Memory

Storage = the Total Drive Capacity which appears from the above to be a 256 GB Drive Capacity

Jan 15, 2023 11:22 AM in response to PRP_53

I was going to do the safe mode route but thought I would first restart and see if that cleared anything up. Lo and behold I was able download the Ventura OS. However, when i tried to install i got the message that the "target volume" was not enough on the MAC HD. Another click and I discovered that the 245 GB HD had about 12 GB left. Was I confusing my HD storage with my Cloud storage that show 175 GB free? Think so. I discovered I had 40 GB in one photo collection. Suppose I could move it to the Cloud but decided to delete numerous photos that I do not need. I will also delete large files and try again. Thanks for help.

Message not enough memory to install OS Ventura 13.1 on my MAC 2021

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.