You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extended display problem

Hi, I have a problem that I can't solve. I am connecting 2 x displays to my macbook pro, one is next to me and the second is another room so I can't see that display. Its for a client to view before you ask!

Is there a way that I can control see what goes onto that screen without physically going to look at it?

ie how can I arrange the window on that display without having to go into the room to look at it? For example making sure the window they need to view is centred / full screen etc? I can't use mirror display either, each display will need to have their own independent view.

Thanks!

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 10:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2023 10:40 AM

The default for multiple displays is Extended desktop. where the displays are concatenated along an edge to produce a larger "Extended desktop" like this:

There is no current mechanism to provide a full picture of an entire another display -- only the active image area on it -- using screen sharing. So you would still have to go look for issues like centering.

"extended desktop" I great for when the displays are next to each other. You may not want to work that way when one display is in the other room.

one choice is "mirror displays"

when you use [√] Mirror Displays, BOTH displays are fed from a single display-generator, and use the same [compromise] resolution, and are forced to the same Sync. There is no mechanism that allows you to inspect for gray bars and centering, except to inspect the other display.

--------

If you use mission control, a feature available there called "separate spaces" where you collect applications and windows into a 'space', and you can swap spaces onto and off of the display with only a keyboard shortcut.

The extension of this concept to multiple physical displays is called "displays have separate spaces" and may be useful for a display in another room.

But again, there is no way to ensure that the picture is correctly centered and fills the entire display except to have someone go look at it and report.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2023 10:40 AM in response to finnbar256

The default for multiple displays is Extended desktop. where the displays are concatenated along an edge to produce a larger "Extended desktop" like this:

There is no current mechanism to provide a full picture of an entire another display -- only the active image area on it -- using screen sharing. So you would still have to go look for issues like centering.

"extended desktop" I great for when the displays are next to each other. You may not want to work that way when one display is in the other room.

one choice is "mirror displays"

when you use [√] Mirror Displays, BOTH displays are fed from a single display-generator, and use the same [compromise] resolution, and are forced to the same Sync. There is no mechanism that allows you to inspect for gray bars and centering, except to inspect the other display.

--------

If you use mission control, a feature available there called "separate spaces" where you collect applications and windows into a 'space', and you can swap spaces onto and off of the display with only a keyboard shortcut.

The extension of this concept to multiple physical displays is called "displays have separate spaces" and may be useful for a display in another room.

But again, there is no way to ensure that the picture is correctly centered and fills the entire display except to have someone go look at it and report.

extended display problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.