You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple external DVD player

I just purchased a 24" Apple computer. It is running Ventura 13.1 with an M1 chip. It does not have a DVD player. I am trying to find a cd/dvd player compatible for this computer. I purchased some cheaper players from Amazon only to find out they are not compatible. I have looked at the Apple site and the site does not list my new Apple computer as compatible. Any ideas???

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jan 17, 2023 10:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM

If you're going to do ripping of audiobooks or music CDs you'll want a drive that has a faster interface than the Apple Super Drive. I also wanted one that had it's own power source so as to not load the USB ports on my Mac. I do a lot of ripping of audiobooks and purchase an earlier versions of this unit from OWC (MacSale.com) as it had a faster read rate that most other drives. I'm not concerned about burn speed because I burn at the slowest speed available to insure the best burn:

OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive

Another feature of the unit is the fact that it has a drawer loading tray which is easier to clean in case of disc jamming.

Just some food for thought.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2023 3:40 PM in response to Motorrider

If you're going to do ripping of audiobooks or music CDs you'll want a drive that has a faster interface than the Apple Super Drive. I also wanted one that had it's own power source so as to not load the USB ports on my Mac. I do a lot of ripping of audiobooks and purchase an earlier versions of this unit from OWC (MacSale.com) as it had a faster read rate that most other drives. I'm not concerned about burn speed because I burn at the slowest speed available to insure the best burn:

OWC Mercury Pro 24X Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive

Another feature of the unit is the fact that it has a drawer loading tray which is easier to clean in case of disc jamming.

Just some food for thought.

Apple external DVD player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.