You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will my older MacPro, which runs only Catalina run any Version of Microsoft Word (i subscribe to Microsoft 365)?

will my older MacPro, which runs only Catalina run any Version of Microsoft Word (i subscribe to Microsoft 365)?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 12:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 1:11 PM

Microsoft has dropped support for new installations of Microsoft 365 apps, or single-purchase Office 2019/2021 for Mac products on Catalina. Existing Microsoft Office applications already installed on Catalina prior to Fall 2022 will continue to work without Microsoft updates.

Otherwise, you may be looking for a Microsoft Office clone that still works on Catalina. That might be the paid (free trial) of Softmaker Office 2021 for Mac, or the free LibreOffice suite with its PDF documentation.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2023 1:11 PM in response to aperyam

Microsoft has dropped support for new installations of Microsoft 365 apps, or single-purchase Office 2019/2021 for Mac products on Catalina. Existing Microsoft Office applications already installed on Catalina prior to Fall 2022 will continue to work without Microsoft updates.

Otherwise, you may be looking for a Microsoft Office clone that still works on Catalina. That might be the paid (free trial) of Softmaker Office 2021 for Mac, or the free LibreOffice suite with its PDF documentation.

Jan 23, 2023 12:54 PM in response to aperyam

Until a couple of days ago, I was in the same predicament as you. If you subscribe to Microsoft 365, have a look at this link. I downloaded and installed the file that contains Word, Powerpoint, Excel and Outlook, and they work just fine. As far as I can see, the only drawback is that Microsoft keeps telling me that updates are available, presumably for updated versions of the apps which, of course, do not work on Catalina.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office-365-on-mac-os-catalina/82b8e0c3-d364-4bb3-82e3-5c291ff0ac42

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.