You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents folder not appearing when clicked on in Finder sidebar

I just updated to Ventura and accidentally allowed my desktop and documents folder to be linked to iCloud. After un-syncing my desktop and documents folder from iCloud I could no longer access my documents folder in Finder. If I click on the documents folder in the Finder sidebar, the view of the files remains with whatever was clicked on last--downloads, desktop, movies, etc.--but doesn't switch to the documents folder. I can drag and drop files onto the documents icon in the sidebar but it's like they disappear unless I search for them in Finder. Anyone know what's going on?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 2:06 PM

11 replies

Jan 18, 2023 6:27 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for trying to help. I tried these options, but the problem is that Finder isn't switching to the contents of "Documents" from the Favorites dropdown when selected. The screenshot below shows Finder giving me a view of the Music folder (last selected folder) instead of Documents which is currently selected and highlighted. I can still still checkmark and un-checkmark Documents in Finder settings to appear and disappear.

Also, as I stated, I can still drag and drop a file into Documents in the sidebar. When I search for that file it does come up and lists it under "Documents." A Documents folder does exist within my Home folder but it's not that same one listed under Favorites because the said document isn't found here.

I think it's Ventura glitch since the "Documents" folder under Favorites is not connected to Documents in the Home folder.

It sounds like a silly thing to be hung up on but accessing my Documents folder through Favorites was how I've always done it.

If something from Apple is reading this please help!

Jan 18, 2023 6:28 PM in response to Kamiflager

Kamiflager wrote:

Thanks for trying to help. I tried these options, but the problem is that Finder isn't switching to the contents of "Documents" from the Favorites dropdown when selected

You are saying it is the same result when You Control click to "remove the folder" and then

drag & drop a new Documents folder from the Home folder back to the Finder sidebar..?

Jan 18, 2023 4:14 PM in response to Kamiflager

Kamiflager wrote:

I just updated to Ventura and accidentally allowed my desktop and documents folder to be linked to iCloud. After un-syncing my desktop and documents folder from iCloud I could no longer access my documents folder in Finder. If I click on the documents folder in the Finder sidebar, the view of the files remains with whatever was clicked on last--downloads, desktop, movies, etc.--but doesn't switch to the documents folder. I can drag and drop files onto the documents icon in the sidebar but it's like they disappear unless I search for them in Finder. Anyone know what's going on?

See if this is still relevant—

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/273629/how-to-restore-your-desktop-and-documents-after-disabling-icloud-sync-in-macos-sierra/

How to find your Documents and Desktop folder contents after disabling ...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3396119/how-to-find-your-documents-and-desktop-folder-contents-after-disabling-icloud-sync.html

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

You can try removing the Documents folder in the side bar and add it back in by dragging in from your Home folder

and/or from Finder >Settings>Sidebar

Documents folder not appearing when clicked on in Finder sidebar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.