You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop open windows maximizing sometimes when select

Hi,

On Monterey 12.6.2. Occasionally (for reasons I can't correlate), when I switch between two or more open windows, the selected window expands to the full size of the screen. I tend to click somewhere on the title bar a bit to the left of the 3 dots in the left corner when I select a window. It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't reproduce it on demand. I haven't found a way to undo this except to grab the window corner and re-size it. Is there a way to 'turn off' this behavior?

In this case I care about, I have three windows open in Pro Tools - Mix / Edit / MIDI Editor. I tile the windows slightly so that I can always click in the upper left corner to select between them, but whatever window is open gets most of the full screen. To make matters worse, the KVM I have has a behavior of switching screens when you mouse up and down on the right side of the screen (e.g. in the place where the scroll bar ends up when a window is full screen), so my tiling makes the windows a little short of the right side of the screen. The auto maximizing makes me have to play around with the size and the position to get thing back how I had them.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2023 5:48 PM

You can set a window to zoom when you double-click the title bar. Maybe you are accidentally double-clicking.

Similar questions

2 replies

How to stop open windows maximizing sometimes when select

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.