You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning MP3 CD Reorders My Song List

I have been burning CDs using Apple Music on MACOS Big Sur (v11.6).

The playlist order is maintained on the CD when I burn an Audio CD.

The playlist order of the CD is NOT maintained when I burn MP3 CDs.

I tried all the obvious stuff: restarted MAC, clicked on "Copy to Play Order", sort by Play Order, renumbered with "Track Order" etc. no good.

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 10:50 AM

I figured it out. After burning a MP3 CD, the song order appears mixed when attached to the computer. But when I place the MP3 CD in a dedicated player (say car CD player) the songs play in the correct order. I investigated the MP3 CD file content and found an XML file with the song list, which I assume, is used by the dedicated CD player. I'm good with that! p.s. still odd the Apple Music does not use/recognize this XML file (?)

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2023 10:50 AM in response to turingtest2

I figured it out. After burning a MP3 CD, the song order appears mixed when attached to the computer. But when I place the MP3 CD in a dedicated player (say car CD player) the songs play in the correct order. I investigated the MP3 CD file content and found an XML file with the song list, which I assume, is used by the dedicated CD player. I'm good with that! p.s. still odd the Apple Music does not use/recognize this XML file (?)

Jan 20, 2023 12:17 PM in response to GioBert

Audio CDs are set out in the play order of the playlist, just linear audio data with a list of track lengths. MP3 CDs and Data CDs copy over the files as they are with their original file names, so the order of these is undefined. If you want these to play in a particular order you may need to make copies of the files and then add a track order prefix by hand, before burning the collection to disc.

tt2

Burning MP3 CD Reorders My Song List

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.