You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to show Photos not selected as favorites

Hello all,

is there a way to show Photos not selected as favorites?

I'd just like to delete all Photos which I have not tagged as favorite.

I am stunned Photos is not offering this option within it's selections menu...

no Option there

this works in the search window

this doesn't work - is there another term which would work?

Thanks!

C

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 3:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 6:07 AM

You can create a Smart Album

Create Smart Albums to group photos automatically in Photos

With this setup the Smart Album will only show photos that are not favorites

Please remember that a photo will be deleted from your MacBook and also from your iCloud and all synced devices!

Regards Ralf

5 replies

Jan 20, 2023 6:47 AM in response to vertrider

Even asking Siri to search for photos, that are not Favourites does not work. It is a pity, that the Filter is so one-sided; we can filter for Favorites, but not the opposite, we can filter for videos, but not exclude videos, we can filter for Photos with adjustments applied, but not for photos without adjustments.

Currently the smart albums, recommended by Ralf, are the best solution.

You may want to send feedback to Apple with a feature request - form is here: Feedback - Photos - Apple

Jan 21, 2023 10:07 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

What is working for me, is the Shared iCloud Photos Library. I have moved all Favourites to the shared iCloud Library (I am currently only sharing my library with myself, so I can access it from all my Apple IDs). When I am now setting the Library View to my personal library, I am only seeing the photos and videos, that are no favorites.

But it means, that I cannot see my favorites on my older Macs with Mojave, only on the newer devices with macOS 13, iOS 16, and iPadOS 16. But at least it is working on my iPhone and iPad as well, where we do not have smart albums.

How to show Photos not selected as favorites

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.