You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external mike recording presentation problems

I am trying to record a presentation on Keynote 12.2.1. I am using an external mike for better sound quality. It works beautifully until I have to stop the recording. If I stop the recording to re-record due to a mistake or just to take a break while I get my thoughts together, it will continue to record... or so I think. When I go back to listen to it, it will play up to the spot I stopped and will go no further, not even with the video. I tried this several times with the same results.

Out of curiosity and experimenting to solve the issue, I tried to record... stop... record... stop...record but this time without the external mike. Using the built in mike on my Macbook Pro (Ventura 13.1) all worked out just fine without the external mike. So my deduction is that is has to do something with when the external mike is hooked up.

Since I don't want to record a 45 minute video in one shot I need to get this to work somehow with the external mike. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 1:16 PM

Try these two procedures:

1. Quit Keynote
  2. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security
  3. Click Microphone
  4. Turn on the setting for each app that needs access to the built-in mic, an external USB mic or the inputs on an external audio interface.

Reset NVRAM [Non-volatile random-access memory]

1. Shut down the Mac

2. Power up the Mac then immediately Press and hold Command + Option + P + R until the Mac is fully booted

Restart the Mac

Resetting the NVRAM will return your startup disk, time zone, and audio preferences to their default settings.

If those procedures did not sort the issue, a workaround is to record sound in Quick time, you can edit the recording in QuickTime then import to either the Soundtrack in Keynote or on to specific slides.

See this Apple guide: Record audio in QuickTime Player on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2023 1:16 PM in response to pfehringer

Try these two procedures:

1. Quit Keynote
  2. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Privacy & Security
  3. Click Microphone
  4. Turn on the setting for each app that needs access to the built-in mic, an external USB mic or the inputs on an external audio interface.

Reset NVRAM [Non-volatile random-access memory]

1. Shut down the Mac

2. Power up the Mac then immediately Press and hold Command + Option + P + R until the Mac is fully booted

Restart the Mac

Resetting the NVRAM will return your startup disk, time zone, and audio preferences to their default settings.

If those procedures did not sort the issue, a workaround is to record sound in Quick time, you can edit the recording in QuickTime then import to either the Soundtrack in Keynote or on to specific slides.

See this Apple guide: Record audio in QuickTime Player on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 28, 2023 5:52 AM in response to pfehringer

An alternative way of doing this is to record the narration direct on to each separate slide:

We always use this method as it is more acute and flexible and the sound can be replaced very easily and quickly.

• first create the slide auto advance by using Record Slideshow, but do not record sound. Turn the sound down to zero the external mic being used in Apple menu > System Settings > Sound > Input

• second, create the sound recordings direct on to each slide using: Insert > Record Audio

Remember to set the external mic back to the correct recording level again in System Settings

Jan 27, 2023 3:21 PM in response to pfehringer

I'd hate to reopen the conversation, but... After resetting the NVRAM all seemed to be working when I did a test. I just sat down to record a Keynote presentation today and I'm back at square one.

Am I going to have to do a NVRAM reset every time before I record? That seems like a pain in the butt. Why isn't it keeping the good settings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jan 30, 2023 6:43 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary. When I first read your message I tried recording the slideshow first and then the audio over the slides and it didn't work for me because the slide change was off.

I played with it a little more and was able to get it to work. I recorded the audio for each slide first. I then recorded the slideshow as a recording with the microphone volume off (I forgot to do this the first time and it had reverb) and it worked out just as I needed. Thanks for the advice. This should solve my issue.

external mike recording presentation problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.