You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN on my Mac? Yes or No?

Non technical brain here!

I'm reading lots of info about internet security and VPNs. Particularly of late when internet scamming etc has become a big deal. I don't really understand what a VPN is & does, and if I need it on my Macs (desktop & laptop). If so, which would be the best company to go with?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom :)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 5:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2023 5:53 PM

Welcome!

Mac computers do not need any sort of anti-virus or VPN software. Anti-virus can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". They only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

Here are some links that describe Apple's built-in malware protection, which are far superior:

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 22, 2023 5:53 PM in response to siren5859

Welcome!

Mac computers do not need any sort of anti-virus or VPN software. Anti-virus can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". They only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

Here are some links that describe Apple's built-in malware protection, which are far superior:

Jack

VPN on my Mac? Yes or No?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.