You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find My Reporting Wrong Computer Name, Location Disabled

I'm running Mac OS 12.6.3 on a Mid 2015 MBP. I'm having issues with the Find My Service. The MBP shows in my Find My devices as Repair_Drive, and location services disabled.

I have validated in System Preferences/Sharing that the computer name is not listed as Repair_Drive.

I have also validated that Location Services are enabled, and Find My is enabled for location services.

When I load the Find My app on the MBP, it lists the device as Repair_Drive, and location services disabled.

I have attempted to turn off location services, restart, and turn back on as well as the same steps in Safe Mode. No change.

I suspect when my MBP was sent in for servicing, it was booted with a Repair_Drive by Apple, and that is somehow interfering with the find my services on my account.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, 12.4

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 12:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2023 5:05 PM

As a follow up - the solution provided by support:

• Create a dummy local account on the computer
  • Sign into the dummy account
  • Skip setting up your itunes user ID in the initial sign in process
  • Open the Find My App
  • Sign into Find My from the app which updated the service.

2 replies

Find My Reporting Wrong Computer Name, Location Disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.