You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer data from one external hard drive to another

Hello All. The only responses I could find in search are very old. I have a Seagate external drive that is quite a few years old. I already lost all my data on another Seagate drive due to corrupted data- I didn't realize that these drives degrade over time. So I have a new external drive and I'd like to transfer the old data to the new one.

I only have one Mac so not sure how to do this. I also want to save the files on my old drive to the cloud. Should I do that first? Then save from the cloud to the new drive? And how do I save a whole drive to the cloud?

I have a MacBook Pro. Running Monterey 12.6

I appreciate any guidance. Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 8:01 AM

I would do it drive to drive. Transferring to iCloud will be slow so minimize transfers using Internet.

Just connect both drives to the computer and drag files from one to the other. Some modifications to the method might help depending upon what you are transferring and your objectives. For example, I have clones of my entire drives (including boot systems) so I use specialized software for doing that.

I am not as familiar with using iCloud drive. Refer to Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2023 8:01 AM in response to originale

I would do it drive to drive. Transferring to iCloud will be slow so minimize transfers using Internet.

Just connect both drives to the computer and drag files from one to the other. Some modifications to the method might help depending upon what you are transferring and your objectives. For example, I have clones of my entire drives (including boot systems) so I use specialized software for doing that.

I am not as familiar with using iCloud drive. Refer to Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Jan 25, 2023 8:39 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Finder can open more than one window at a time to make copying files folder-to folder or drive-to-drive really easy.

Open a window with files and folders you want to see.

Choose New Window from the Finder's File Menu.

a new window opens.

resize the two windows and place side-by-side.

Navigate to view any other folder on any other drive.

compare contents easily, drag files back and forth, to get the results you desire.

Jan 25, 2023 8:26 AM in response to originale

I have 4 drives connected to my 2012 iMac, one being a boot drive. So that's 5 if you include the internal and 6 if you include the occasional thumb drive. :-)

The main limit for most users will be with newer Macs they have really trimmed down ports. You can still use multiple drives but they are sharing the same port (albeit very fast ones) and then you have to invest in a hub.

Jan 25, 2023 9:25 AM in response to originale

My 2012 iMac has 4 USB3 ports. I also have a 10 port USB2 hub. have a DVD drive plugged into the hub. I have a dual docking station and one single docking station plugged into the iMac ports and one single docking station plugged into the hub. I infact have more than 4 hard drives, and the docking station lets me swap them in a matter of seconds vs. actual enclosures. I can also keep a fan blowing over them in summer so they stay nice and cool.

Transfer data from one external hard drive to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.