You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two-factor authentication quandry

How to use multifactor authentication with only one device.

Previous answers referred to Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support which does not answer the question. Using a single device, be it a laptop, phone, or whatever, and no other outside assistance, how does one use the multifactor authentication everything seems to be clamoring for?

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 7:32 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:06 AM

If you have only one communication device, and no other internet access (no computer, no landline, no family, friend or neighbor with a computer, cell phone or landline) then you had better never lose your iPhone, because if you do your Apple ID account will become inaccessible. Of course, if this is your situation you won’t need to access your Apple ID account, anyway, so the fact that it is inaccessible is irrelevant.

But as long as you have your iPhone you can use it as your only a means of entering an authentication code. Of course, except for the first time you will never be asked for it again.

But you can still enabled 2 factor authentication (you actually have to when you created your Apple ID).

In the article you referenced that you said didn’t help, I found:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > your name > Password & Security. Tap Turn On Two-Factor Authentication. Then tap Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2023 9:06 AM in response to SteveT2

If you have only one communication device, and no other internet access (no computer, no landline, no family, friend or neighbor with a computer, cell phone or landline) then you had better never lose your iPhone, because if you do your Apple ID account will become inaccessible. Of course, if this is your situation you won’t need to access your Apple ID account, anyway, so the fact that it is inaccessible is irrelevant.

But as long as you have your iPhone you can use it as your only a means of entering an authentication code. Of course, except for the first time you will never be asked for it again.

But you can still enabled 2 factor authentication (you actually have to when you created your Apple ID).

In the article you referenced that you said didn’t help, I found:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > your name > Password & Security. Tap Turn On Two-Factor Authentication. Then tap Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

Jan 29, 2023 11:39 AM in response to Bob Timmons

In my lengthy searches for info on the subject question, I've come across this example (among others):

First: Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support "Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security"

Then, on that page: Official Apple Support "What do you need help with?"

Then, on that page: Official Apple Support "Get the help you need." "Get Support - Give us a few details and we’ll offer the best solution. Connect by phone, chat, email, and more."

The links were all converted to their hyperlink texts.

While I've not had occasion yet to drill down to the next, actual support, level, there's no stipulation here that it won't include Apple ID recovery assistance.

Jan 26, 2023 7:53 AM in response to SteveT2

Two-factor authentication is a way of protecting your Apple ID, not your device. The "two" refers to the factors, in this case, the password and the six-digit code, not the number of devices. Devices are protected by the device lock code. So, there is no difficulty in using just one device except in certain rare circumstances. That's why it's advisable to add a trusted phone number to your account. This can be a landline or even and Android phone.

On your iPhone, you generally only need to enter your 2FA code when you are setting up the device.

Jan 29, 2023 8:57 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the follow-up. I still see an issue. I'm just not explaining my concerns well enough.

Put another way, the situation in question is that there is only one (1) device/entry method available. I have a single iPhone. I don't have a secondary number, a friend I can call, another phone, computer, or any other internet-connected product. If I needed to enter an authentication number, I cannot receive it in any other way. While I'm not sure how one would even set up two-factor in the first place with such a situation, I don't know how many apps might regularly require two-factor (such as each time a bank site is accessed, perhaps) or how often Apple itself asks for this confirmation technique.

Given this single entry point - my iPhone - and no other available communications method, how is two-factor authentication initially established and how can it be continuously used (under any and all circumstances)?

I really appreciate the previous replies.

Jan 29, 2023 9:59 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks.

It was my understanding that in the event of a lost phone with no other (immediately) available online communication method, an Apple account could be dealt with thru Apple phone support. Is this not so? The situation you describe occurs frequently when I am traveling overseas and I'd still need a second device to enter any code I somehow received since my phone would be gone.

The quotation from the ref article, which I'd read, does not address to where the two-factor authentication code will be sent after it's enabled and likes to refer to a "trusted device" without specifying whether this is the original, on which two-factor is being established, or a past product on which it already exists. Single device setup isn't obviously discussed that I can see.

I am very reluctant to enable a code verification id technique if I subsequently find there are unstated limitations or penalties. So I'm trying to get a clear scenario of a single device in daily use. I find Apple discussions typically assume the user is festooned with internet-capable sources. ;-)

Jan 29, 2023 10:20 AM in response to SteveT2

SteveT2 wrote:

Thanks.
It was my understanding that in the event of a lost phone with no other (immediately) available online communication method, an Apple account could be dealt with thru Apple phone support. Is this not so?

That is NOT so. Apple does not get involved in lost or stolen devices.

A trusted device is another Apple device, or a trusted phone number, either mobile or landline. If you truly have no other way to access the internet then it doesn’t matter.

One option is to create an internet phone number, such as a Skype number or a Google Voice number (these are free, like gmail) to receive your authentication code.

And you can still track your phone by going to https://icloud.com/find, which does not require the authentication code if you append the /find.

Two-factor authentication quandry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.