You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini M1 will not play any videos

For the past 4 months my M1 Mini mac with 16 GB running Ventura 13.2 will not play any online or local videos. This is the case with either Safari or Chrome.

If i reboot the Mini mac it will then play for a few hours then go back to not playing anything.

This happens with Youtube / BBC news videos or any videos I have in Apple TV app on my Mac.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 9:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 5:29 AM

Two things that I noticed are the vpn software and the infamous keystone “helpers”. The latter are known to grab hold of the system videotoolbox in such a way as to heavily impair video applications. I wouldn’t put it past them to cause this issue.

If this were something that happens immediately after boot I would suggest starting in Safe Mode to compare, but in this case it would not tell us much unless you kept in Safe Mode for a while.

You could try uninstalling Chrome and its keystone daemons and see if that helps. It is not enough to delete Chrome. See https://chromeisbad.com for an explanation of what they do and how to remove them.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 5:29 AM in response to Allister Gourlay

Two things that I noticed are the vpn software and the infamous keystone “helpers”. The latter are known to grab hold of the system videotoolbox in such a way as to heavily impair video applications. I wouldn’t put it past them to cause this issue.

If this were something that happens immediately after boot I would suggest starting in Safe Mode to compare, but in this case it would not tell us much unless you kept in Safe Mode for a while.

You could try uninstalling Chrome and its keystone daemons and see if that helps. It is not enough to delete Chrome. See https://chromeisbad.com for an explanation of what they do and how to remove them.

Jan 30, 2023 4:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis...

So a huge thanks for your help with this - looks like we are all good now!

I trashed Chrome - didnt find any Chrome items to trash in /Library but did find a few chrome related items in ~/Library.

So I trashed all of those items as noted in https://chromeisbad.com and rebooted my M1 Mini Mac and for the past 2 days all video content plays either online or local!

Weirdly enough we dont have this problem on our main video editing machines (2 x 2020 iMacs), only on our M1 Mini mac which is thankfully only a back up machine for using Illustrator and Lightroom in the studio.

So again thanks Luis - from Bonnie (cold) Scotland!

Mac Mini M1 will not play any videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.