You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot transfer number?

I cannot transfer my phone number from my old iPhone to my new one. It keeps telling me to retry or contact support. I outreaches support but I’m not sure they can call me given that my phone is halfway through the transfer process….help!

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 2:42 PM

The transfer process does not transfer your phone number. From→Apple - Support - Search

Use eSIM Quick Transfer on iPhone

Some carriers support SIM transfers from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without needing to contact them. You can also convert your current physical SIM card to an eSIM. 

If you don't have access to your current iPhone, contact your carrier to transfer your eSIM.

While you're setting up your iPhone, if you're asked to transfer your SIM, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM or eSIM. If you need to transfer more than one SIM to your new iPhone, transfer your additional SIMs following the steps below.

Transfer a physical SIM or eSIM on your previous iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone after setup

1. On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan. 
  2. Choose a cellular plan to transfer from another device. If you don't see a list of numbers, tap Transfer From Another Device. This requires both devices to have iOS 16 or later.
  3. Check for instructions on your previous iPhone to confirm the transfer. To confirm, tap Transfer or, if asked for a verification code, enter the code that's displayed on your new iPhone.
  4. Wait for the cellular plan to activate on your new iPhone. Your previous SIM is deactivated when the cellular plan on your new iPhone activates.
  5. If a banner appears on your new iPhone that says Finish Setting Up Your Carrier's Cellular Plan, tap it. You will be redirected to your carrier's webpage to transfer your eSIM. If you need help, contact your carrier.

Convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone

You can convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone, if your carrier supports it. Follow these steps:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular.
  2. Tap Convert to eSIM.
  3. If you don't see Convert to eSIM, your carrier doesn't support this option. Contact your carrier to move your phone number from your physical SIM to an eSIM using eSIM Carrier Activation or by scanning a QR code.
  4. Tap Convert Cellular Plan.
  5. Tap Convert to eSIM.
  6. Wait for your eSIM to activate. Your previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
  7. Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone. Then restart your iPhone.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Jenngrrl75

The transfer process does not transfer your phone number. From→Apple - Support - Search

Use eSIM Quick Transfer on iPhone

Some carriers support SIM transfers from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without needing to contact them. You can also convert your current physical SIM card to an eSIM. 

If you don't have access to your current iPhone, contact your carrier to transfer your eSIM.

While you're setting up your iPhone, if you're asked to transfer your SIM, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM or eSIM. If you need to transfer more than one SIM to your new iPhone, transfer your additional SIMs following the steps below.

Transfer a physical SIM or eSIM on your previous iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone after setup

1. On your new iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular > Add Cellular Plan. 
  2. Choose a cellular plan to transfer from another device. If you don't see a list of numbers, tap Transfer From Another Device. This requires both devices to have iOS 16 or later.
  3. Check for instructions on your previous iPhone to confirm the transfer. To confirm, tap Transfer or, if asked for a verification code, enter the code that's displayed on your new iPhone.
  4. Wait for the cellular plan to activate on your new iPhone. Your previous SIM is deactivated when the cellular plan on your new iPhone activates.
  5. If a banner appears on your new iPhone that says Finish Setting Up Your Carrier's Cellular Plan, tap it. You will be redirected to your carrier's webpage to transfer your eSIM. If you need help, contact your carrier.

Convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone

You can convert a physical SIM to an eSIM on the same iPhone, if your carrier supports it. Follow these steps:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular.
  2. Tap Convert to eSIM.
  3. If you don't see Convert to eSIM, your carrier doesn't support this option. Contact your carrier to move your phone number from your physical SIM to an eSIM using eSIM Carrier Activation or by scanning a QR code.
  4. Tap Convert Cellular Plan.
  5. Tap Convert to eSIM.
  6. Wait for your eSIM to activate. Your previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
  7. Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone. Then restart your iPhone.

Cannot transfer number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.