You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air Shutdowns at 100% battery

Every time I charge, by mistake, my iPad at 100%, it turns off and signals that the battery is low. The solutions I found are (1) not to charge it , of course, at 100% and, (2) if it happens, try to reduce the charge (down to 90-95%) by opening no-Apple applications (which seem to block the shutdown!) or inserting a pendrive that absorbs/consumes a continuos small amount of energy. But all this work has to be done in very short time (10-15 sec) because the IPad continously shutdown !

I would say that there is a nice bug in the system!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 4:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 3:52 PM

Thank you for your support.

My IPad shuts down only when it is fully charged (100%).

After that, when I try to restart it (connected or disconnected from the grid) the “low battery” icon appears on the screen. After few rest minutes and some restarting trials (by the on-off botton) the Apple logo and the code request appear and then the main page. After that I have few second to do some operations. I tried to switch off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, or the energy saving mode but nothing changes. In a casual way, and not always , only when I open a third part app (music or reading) the iPad doesn’t switches off and I wait that the battery lével goes under 95%. Then it works correctly. But, of course and as I told previously, I take care not to charge it complétely. I think there is a bug in the battery management code.

Ciao!

Stefano

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 29, 2023 3:52 PM in response to Lager1

Thank you for your support.

My IPad shuts down only when it is fully charged (100%).

After that, when I try to restart it (connected or disconnected from the grid) the “low battery” icon appears on the screen. After few rest minutes and some restarting trials (by the on-off botton) the Apple logo and the code request appear and then the main page. After that I have few second to do some operations. I tried to switch off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, or the energy saving mode but nothing changes. In a casual way, and not always , only when I open a third part app (music or reading) the iPad doesn’t switches off and I wait that the battery lével goes under 95%. Then it works correctly. But, of course and as I told previously, I take care not to charge it complétely. I think there is a bug in the battery management code.

Ciao!

Stefano

Jan 29, 2023 4:22 PM in response to Sargon55

I noticed from the description under your name that your iPad is an Air 2, which is a bit old at this point. It’s not so old that it shouldn’t be working well - it uses the same A12 Bionic processor as the iPhone XS, which I have and it works great. All the same it’s possible that you’d benefit from contacting Apple Support or even making an appointment to get it checked out Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Another thing: check your battery health. On iPhones you can do this in Settings > Battery > Battery Health and Charging, but you may need to have Apple run diagnostics to check it on an iPad. Like I said, I have an iPhone XS with the same processor as your iPad Air, and I had to replace the battery once before because it wasn’t working well. Anything below 80% capacity is in need of replacement.

Jan 29, 2023 10:18 AM in response to Sargon55

Hello Sargon55,

When your iPad shuts down unexpectedly, do you see the Apple Logo, or the spinning gear?

This resource covers some options for this issue: If your iOS or iPadOS device restarts or displays the Apple logo or a spinning gear unexpectedly - Apple Support

If you still have questions, reach out to Apple Support directly, as this may require closer guidance: Get Support

Cheers!

iPad Air Shutdowns at 100% battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.