You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac A1225 screen glitch issue

Hi there,

I have an Early 2008 iMac 24” which is still going strong but suddenly developed a screen glitch as per pics and won’t startup. Will neither launch into safe mode

on startup I’m seeing these black blocks and jagged artefacts.

is this a loose cable or something catastrophic with the GPU? I did notice this happening after noticing a patch of condensation on the bottom corner recently - perhaps a cause?

I have previously replaced the HDD with SSD which was working fine and had given it a new lease of life :(

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 10:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:07 AM

It's an old, obsolete Mac that seems to have served a long life and really isn't going strong anymore.

Condensation inside the machine is never good, and the artifact you see on the display indicates to me that the GPU or other video hardware is taking a bow.

I believe it's time for you to find a replacement for that iMac.

If money is an issue, consider the purchase of an Apple Certified Refurbished computer at the Apple Store.

Please see: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac?afid=p238%7CsmdaXoMIH-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_644453066820_pgrid_13945975927_pntwk_g_pchan__pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-mac--slid---product-

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 11:07 AM in response to htatla

It's an old, obsolete Mac that seems to have served a long life and really isn't going strong anymore.

Condensation inside the machine is never good, and the artifact you see on the display indicates to me that the GPU or other video hardware is taking a bow.

I believe it's time for you to find a replacement for that iMac.

If money is an issue, consider the purchase of an Apple Certified Refurbished computer at the Apple Store.

Please see: https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac?afid=p238%7CsmdaXoMIH-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_644453066820_pgrid_13945975927_pntwk_g_pchan__pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-mac--slid---product-

Feb 2, 2023 11:28 AM in response to Old Toad

Or how about (as failed GFX has been suggested)… I find a used Graphics card from eBay, watch a strip down video on YouTube …and try fix it myself?

but I guess as this is an Apple forum, this sort of action is against Apples corporate policy (like with mobile devices) which is to discourage and block people from fixing their own devices, thus saving them from the scrap heap and keep something providing a useful life.

imac A1225 screen glitch issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.