You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Services Downloads 5.9 GB

I only have a 10 GB cell plan. I only let it update apps when it is attached to WiFi, and update iOS only through iTunes on my computer. Generally I turn cell service off prior to updating any of these things because I'd much rather have the update fail completely than burn 60% of my data updating apps I don't use. Yet somehow I've burned almost 60% of my data plan on "Software Update."

Does anyone know why?

This is iOS 16.3.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 5:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2023 11:53 PM

To set options when Cellular Data is on, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, then do any of the following: Reduce cellular usage: Turn on Low Data Mode, or tap Data Mode, then choose Low Data Mode. This mode pauses automatic updates and background tasks when iPhone isn't connected to Wi-Fi.

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 28, 2023 11:53 PM in response to Nicholas` Benjamin

To set options when Cellular Data is on, go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options, then do any of the following: Reduce cellular usage: Turn on Low Data Mode, or tap Data Mode, then choose Low Data Mode. This mode pauses automatic updates and background tasks when iPhone isn't connected to Wi-Fi.

View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support

System Services Downloads 5.9 GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.