You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing playlist AND actual purchased music on iTunes

I’m not having any success sharing music with Family members. Didn’t used to be a problem but now I’ve lost track of how to share purchases among family members.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 7:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 9:44 AM

Are we on different planets?

1. There is only one other family member, and he is using his own Apple ID.
  2. When I tap on edit (I assume you meen the three red bars in the top right corner) I see no “Public Playlist” toggle.

Thanks for your efforts.

david

5 replies

Jan 31, 2023 6:02 PM in response to divadavid2

Hello divadavid2,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with sharing music purchases with your family. Try the steps here to see if they resolve the issue: How to share purchases with your family - Apple Support

"What is purchase sharing?

When you turn on purchase sharing, everyone in your family gets access to apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books that family members buy. The family organizer is billed for family members' purchases.

Some items can't be shared. Find out which types of content can't be shared.

Use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to turn on purchase sharing

1. If you haven't set up Family Sharing yet, set up Family Sharing.
  2. Open the Settings app.
  3. Tap Family. If you don't see Family, tap your name, then tap Family Sharing.
  4. Tap Purchase Sharing.
  5. Tap Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.
  6. To see which payment method will be billed, tap Purchase Sharing again and look at the Shared Payment Method information.

Use your Mac to turn on purchase sharing

In macOS Ventura or later: 

2. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Family. 
  3. Click Purchase Sharing.
  4. Click your name, then turn on Share My Purchases.
  5. To see which payment method will be billed, look under Shared Payment Methods.

In earlier versions of macOS:

2. On your Mac, choose Apple menu   > System Preferences.
  3. Click Family Sharing.
  4. Click Purchase Sharing in the sidebar.
  5. Click Set Up Purchase Sharing and follow the onscreen instructions.
  6. To see which payment method will be billed, look at the Shared Payment Method information.

Turn off purchase sharing

1. See your Purchase Sharing settings in Settings on your iPhone or iPad or in System Settings on your Mac.
  2. Turn off purchase sharing:
    • On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap Stop Purchase Sharing.
    • On your Mac, click Turn Off, then click Stop Purchase Sharing.

Which payment method is charged for purchases that family members make?

When Purchase Sharing is turned on, everyone's purchases bill to the family organizer's payment method.* If there's an issue with the payment method, the family organizer can update their payment method or add a new one.

If you're the family organizer and you don't want to share a payment method with your family, turn off purchase sharing. When purchase sharing is turned off, you can continue to share subscriptions like Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade. When Purchase Sharing is turned off, everyone must use their own payment method.

Learn how purchases are billed if a family member has Apple Account balance."

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Feb 1, 2023 10:42 AM in response to divadavid2

Thanks for the reply!

If we understand correctly, you're trying to share both your playlist(s) and individual music. Since you're not able to collaborate on playlists with other users or those using a different Apple ID you would have to make the playlist visible for the other person to search for and view it. "Manage what you share" will provide more details and steps: See what friends are listening to in Apple Music on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device - Apple Support

You can only share the subscription or individual music purchases that are made in the iTunes Store. We recommend using the resource below to see what content can and cannot be shared:

What types of content can I share with my family? - Apple Support

If you have Purchase Sharing enabled but still cannot share the purchased songs, let us know. Include any details on what happens during this process as well.

All the best.

Feb 1, 2023 8:20 AM in response to K_Faith

My family account is. as far as I can tell, correctly set up.

The actual issue is this:

1. My playlists are not updating to the family. When I add a song or delete a song from a playlist, it updates on my iPhone and on iTunes on the pc, but not on my partner's phone. It used to be that I could add songs and change the order of songs on iTunes on my PC and my partner's phone would update the changes automatically.
  2. When I open iTunes on my MacBook Air (running the latest and greatest OS) I can see his phone in the left column but also see this error code: This iPhone is open in another window.
  3. No editing is possible (dragging songs, changing playlists, etc) on his phone.

David

Feb 1, 2023 8:51 AM in response to divadavid2

Hellon divadavid2,

If you can't see the family's shared content, then this may help:

1) Open your Music app and navigate to the playlist you want to start sharing.

2) Tap Edit in the upper right corner.

3) Toggle Public Playlist on.

4) Tap Done

Aside from that, playlists shouldn't automatically be shared. If everyone in the family is seeing them automatically, it may be possible that each member is signed in with the same Apple ID. If that is the case, each person would need to sign in with their own ID.

We hope this helps out.

Cheers!

Sharing playlist AND actual purchased music on iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.