You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SuperDrive not recognized by new MacBook Air

When I connect my SuperDrive to a USB hub, my MacBook Air will not recognize the drive. It tells me to plug it directly into a USB port on my machine, but as my machine does not have that kind of port, I can't do so. How am I supposed to use this now?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 2:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2023 2:45 PM

Use an adaptor as suggested in the support document you posted from, or a self powered HUB.

The drive requires more power, than most un-powered hubs can provide, so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.

4 replies

Jan 30, 2023 4:19 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 wrote:

so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.

actually, most powered hubs will not work either. OWC sells one that they claim works with the superdrive, but other than that one, I haven't seen any others. I even tried to use my superdrive through my externally powered hub as a test, and it didn't work. with an M1 Mac, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter to connect it directly. and there are also some reports of 3rd party USB-C to USB adapters not working.

Jan 31, 2023 8:16 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

jeffreythefrog wrote:

Phil0124 wrote:

so need to be connected directly to the Mac or through a hub that has its own power source connected to a wall socket.
actually, most powered hubs will not work either. OWC sells one that they claim works with the superdrive, but other than that one, I haven't seen any others. I even tried to use my superdrive through my externally powered hub as a test, and it didn't work. with an M1 Mac, you need to use an USB-C to USB Adapter to connect it directly. and there are also some reports of 3rd party USB-C to USB adapters not working.

Thanks for the info.

I use a Nov8Tech hub with a USB-C power source, and a 3rd party drive and it works o.k on my M1 Mac.

Still, it may be a case of YMV and maybe require testing a couple of different hubs to get one that works.

SuperDrive not recognized by new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.