You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers... can't enter a cell

I have a spreadsheet with multiple spreadsheets and all was working well until suddenly, on only one of the sheets, I can't enter a cell. When I click anywhere it draws a box around the entire sheet, almost as if I was in drawing mode. No problem getting rid of the box (just click anywhere outside of it) but still can't use my spreadsheet/.

What am I doing wrong... what did I enter by mis

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 10:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 12:14 PM

maybe you accidentally locked the table.

when you click the table, do the controls look like little squares or "X"s?

Unlocked:

locked:

the key combination to lock is <command>+l (lower case "L") or the Numbers menu item "Arrange > Lock"

to unlock, select the table, then choose the Numbers menu item "Unlock" or use the key combination

<command>+<option>+l (again, lower case "L")

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2023 12:14 PM in response to Charlie Levi

maybe you accidentally locked the table.

when you click the table, do the controls look like little squares or "X"s?

Unlocked:

locked:

the key combination to lock is <command>+l (lower case "L") or the Numbers menu item "Arrange > Lock"

to unlock, select the table, then choose the Numbers menu item "Unlock" or use the key combination

<command>+<option>+l (again, lower case "L")

Feb 1, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Charlie Levi

A "sheet" (tab) in Numbers has a blank canvas on which you can place tables, shapes, charts and other objects.

From your description it's hard to know exactly what is happening on your end.

A screenshot might help: shift-command 4, select area, release, start new post here and use the mountains-and-moon 'Image insertion' icon to attach the screenshot from the Desktop.

Is it possible that you have added a shape to the sheet that is on top of a table? When you click and see the "box" have you tried hitting the delete key? (make a backup/duplicate before trying this, of course).

SG

Numbers... can't enter a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.