You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing jumps to another line in middle of sentence

While typing on my MacBook air (M1 chip), I notice that it is all of a sudden it is typing the rest of my sentence or phrase on another part of the page two or three lines above or below. This occurs when I am typing in Microsoft Word, MacMail, messaging or texting.It seems to be a problem with the keyboard rather than with any of the software programs.

Is there a fix for this? It is quite annoying. Since I type rather fast, I frequently don't realize this until I am proofreading the text and it becomes so muddled that I must start over.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 1, 2023 6:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 1:04 PM

Hi hikeswiss,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! For this issue we would suggest the steps from the following article that may help:

If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses

You may have accidentally set an option that changes how your keyboard operates.
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Accessibility  in the sidebar, then click Keyboard on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Slow Keys is turned off. If Slow Keys is on, you must press and hold a key longer than usual before it’s recognized.
Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, then click Pointer Control on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Mouse Keys is off.
Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Edit next to Input Sources on the right, then turn on “Show Input menu in menu bar.” Open the Input menu, then make sure the correct keyboard layout is selected.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2023 1:04 PM in response to hikeswiss

Hi hikeswiss,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! For this issue we would suggest the steps from the following article that may help:

If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses

You may have accidentally set an option that changes how your keyboard operates.
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click Accessibility  in the sidebar, then click Keyboard on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Slow Keys is turned off. If Slow Keys is on, you must press and hold a key longer than usual before it’s recognized.
Choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, then click Pointer Control on the right. (You may need to scroll down.) Make sure Mouse Keys is off.
Choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Keyboard  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) Click Edit next to Input Sources on the right, then turn on “Show Input menu in menu bar.” Open the Input menu, then make sure the correct keyboard layout is selected.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Typing jumps to another line in middle of sentence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.