You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder does not remember window positions (multiple spaces)

I am having this annoying issue since forever. I think even MacOS Leopard and when I search here in this community, I will find a lot of posts complaining about it.

Here is the problem: When you restart your mac, Finder does not remember the positions of its windows. Why?

Especially when Spaces come into play, it does not even remember the "display on all spaces" option if you checked it.

This is especially frustrating if you have set up your machine to open up a specific set of windows on a large display. I am using a 50" display for my work.

3 thirds of the screen are used for email, finder and browser. On my second Space I am working in an audio application that takes almost all the screen estate. Still, it is handy to have all the finder windows that I have on my first Space on the same positions when working in the other Space. Checking the box "show on all spaces" will help you with that - so far so good.

But once you shut down or restart your machine - the next time you log into your OS, some of the windows are back where they were - and others are not. I constantly have to drag one of the finder windows over to the other space with my mouse and using a "Switch over to Next Space" shortcut in order to make Finder "remember" the original setting.

This feels yanky and sloppy.

I am hoping for Apple to recognize this issue that still persists in Ventura and to iron this out. Finder is an unfinished application and Apple doesn't seem to care.

Mac Studio

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 3:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 8:02 AM

turtlewheels wrote:

I am having this annoying issue since forever. I think even MacOS Leopard and when I search here in this community, I will find a lot of posts complaining about it.

Here is the problem: When you restart your mac, Finder does not remember the positions of its windows. Why?

I am hoping for Apple to recognize this issue that still persists in Ventura and to iron this out. Finder is an unfinished application and Apple doesn't seem to care.

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2023 8:02 AM in response to turtlewheels

turtlewheels wrote:

Can you verify your software is up to date…

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.2

Feb 2, 2023 8:53 AM in response to leroydouglas

Actually, now that you mention it. I installed the 13.2 update just now and noticed the window positions are now finally working properly!

I always hesitate with installing updates like these as it can render some of my other apps inoperable - quite not so useful when you're in the middle of a project and need to deliver on a tight deadline. So I hope the update didn't break anything else...let's see.

Thanks!

finder does not remember window positions (multiple spaces)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.