You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Photos app double the storage space used by my pictures?

I'm trying to get all my pictures sorted out... it's getting out of hand with all the different forms of storage from Apple.

I downloaded some pictures from iCloud, I expanded the zip file (and deleted the original zip once expanded), then added the pictures to the Photos app.

Are these photos now stored twice on my machine? In the original download file location AND the Photos app? I'm so confused and running out of space!

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 12:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2023 2:39 PM

Yes, when you import images to Photos it copies them into the database in the default configuration. If you're worried about space then the obvious solution is to delete the files in your folder system. Or move them to another disk as a basic back up.

You can also import the images in referenced mode. That means that Photos will not copy the images, but only maintain a link to them in the current location. Do not do this. Photos does not have the tools to manage referenced images. Importing and deleting are multiple step procedures. Any change in the path to file is tedious and difficult to repair. You're just storing up trouble for yourself.

As for the Import -> Edit -> Export dance, it's a bit absurd. Photos is a parametic editor, designed for a non-destructive workflow. It's also a manager for your photo media. This dance defeats the two core qualities of Photos, and if you really just want to destructive edit, then use a pixel editor and ignore Photos entirely. It's more simple.

BTW: Photos keeps the files in folders too.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2023 2:39 PM in response to mirandaweathers

Yes, when you import images to Photos it copies them into the database in the default configuration. If you're worried about space then the obvious solution is to delete the files in your folder system. Or move them to another disk as a basic back up.

You can also import the images in referenced mode. That means that Photos will not copy the images, but only maintain a link to them in the current location. Do not do this. Photos does not have the tools to manage referenced images. Importing and deleting are multiple step procedures. Any change in the path to file is tedious and difficult to repair. You're just storing up trouble for yourself.

As for the Import -> Edit -> Export dance, it's a bit absurd. Photos is a parametic editor, designed for a non-destructive workflow. It's also a manager for your photo media. This dance defeats the two core qualities of Photos, and if you really just want to destructive edit, then use a pixel editor and ignore Photos entirely. It's more simple.

BTW: Photos keeps the files in folders too.

Does the Photos app double the storage space used by my pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.