You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t use private Wi-Fi Address???

Okay asking here because I can’t seem to find any information on this. But under the Wi-Fi settings in managed networks I tap on my ISP T-Mobile’s settings to configure them to my liking and for some reason the “use private Wi-Fi address” setting keeps repeatedly turning itself off. I don’t care about how much privacy I’m missing out on I just want my phone to not disregard my choice of configuration and change itself! It’s rather annoying. How can I stop it from doing this?

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Feb 3, 2023 7:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 2:52 AM

See -> Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you use Private Wi-Fi addresses you can assign the iPhone a MAC address & a Private IP address.

Log in to the router, add your iPhone NAME + iPhone MAC address  + private IP address.

Your iPhone MAC address is: go to Settings -> General -> About -> the Wi-Fi address (note this address).

Assign a private IP address to the iPhone, for example 192.168.x.xxx or 169.254.x.xxx. 

This depends on the router & other iDevices that have already been added.

What is important, check the list and the last xxx must be different from the iDevices that have already been added.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2023 2:52 AM in response to austin0000

See -> Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch

Use private Wi-Fi addresses on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you use Private Wi-Fi addresses you can assign the iPhone a MAC address & a Private IP address.

Log in to the router, add your iPhone NAME + iPhone MAC address  + private IP address.

Your iPhone MAC address is: go to Settings -> General -> About -> the Wi-Fi address (note this address).

Assign a private IP address to the iPhone, for example 192.168.x.xxx or 169.254.x.xxx. 

This depends on the router & other iDevices that have already been added.

What is important, check the list and the last xxx must be different from the iDevices that have already been added.

Feb 24, 2023 9:51 AM in response to Raicya

Forgive me but I’m not really sure if this address my question or not.

I'm referring to the network specific connections in settings > Wi-Fi > Edit.

I have T-Mobile Whoopdeedoo now sprint lol so there’s two provider configured connections there; t-mobile & TMobileWingman and I’m able to configure them normally as I would any other network connection, but when ever I configure the private Wi-Fi address on either or, I’ll return to it to find it has been turned off not by me.

Can’t use private Wi-Fi Address???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.