You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod Minis crackling / popping sounds after switching to new Apple TV 4K

Had HomePod minis as stereo pair with an Apple TV HD — no issues.

Today I replaced the Apple TV with a brand new high end 4K 128gb.

First thing I noticed was the popping / crackling noises on the HomePod Minis. Music wasn’t a big issues, but navigating through the Apple TV menu sounded like a war zone.

I’ve since managed to figure out that it must have something to do with ARC, as I’ve turned off “Audio Return Channel” (Play Television Audio) under //Audio Output.

This has solved the crackling issue, but now I won’t be able to play Audio from other TV inputs (the reason I upgraded my Apple TV).

Any suggestions? Could it be that I need to update the HDMI cable

Note: my TV is a Samsung. New enough to support ARC but too old for E-ARC.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:31 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 6, 2023 1:50 PM in response to h110283

Hello h110283,

If you've narrowed down the issue to the ARC/eARC function, then testing another HDMI cable is definitely a great step to try.

Here's the basic suggestions apple has for ARC/eARC issues:

• If you can't set up HomePod or HomePod mini as the default speaker for Apple TV, make sure that your HomePod or HomePod mini and Apple TV are added to the same room in the Home app. Then try to set up your HomePod or HomePod mini as the default speaker for your Apple TV again. 
• Make sure that your TV supports ARC or eARC. You can check by seeing if there's an ARC label next to your HDMI port, or you can contact your TV manufacturer.
• You might have to turn on ARC, eARC, or HDMI-CEC in the settings of your TV. Check with your TV manufacturer for details. 
• Unplug the HDMI cables from your TV and Apple TV. Then plug the cables in again and try to use ARC or eARC. 

Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K

If you continue to have issues with the audio when using ARC/eARC, you'll want to contact Apple to report that: Get Support

Cheers!

HomePod Minis crackling / popping sounds after switching to new Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.