You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update password failed

My admin password, regular password, and apple ID password were all rejected when updating MacOS Ventura. What password does it want?

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 9:30 PM

I was trying to download the update within my standard account which I use most of the time and used my administrator password which failed. I finally downloaded the Ventura update in my slow home network by entering the password of my standard account instead. Should have figured that out as I had been in my standard account. Thought I had tried the standard password too but maybe wasn't careful. But don’t recall the administrator password failing the prompt in any account in systems before Ventura. Also don’t remember the way my accounts were set up originally. Maybe the administrator password will only work within the administrator account now. Thanks again for your input.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2023 9:30 PM in response to James Brickley

I was trying to download the update within my standard account which I use most of the time and used my administrator password which failed. I finally downloaded the Ventura update in my slow home network by entering the password of my standard account instead. Should have figured that out as I had been in my standard account. Thought I had tried the standard password too but maybe wasn't careful. But don’t recall the administrator password failing the prompt in any account in systems before Ventura. Also don’t remember the way my accounts were set up originally. Maybe the administrator password will only work within the administrator account now. Thanks again for your input.

Feb 4, 2023 10:30 AM in response to Roger2

Going to need more information to assist. Please answer the following:

1. Is it that you completed the Ventura update and now you cannot login?
  2. Are you unable to install Ventura due to a login prompt that doesn't accept your passwords?
  3. Is this a personally owned Mac or one owned and perhaps managed by your employer?

Can you take a photo of the login prompt? Do you see the Ventura Tulip colored wallpaper or is it purple like with Monterey.

Feb 4, 2023 10:49 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks. My laptop. No photo. Only got to the General Settings indicating one update available. Just got the small authentication window which jumps when I type requested password. I'm online at a remote location where I had been successful at downloading the original Ventura and now am trying to update to 13.2 from 13.1. I thought it was supposed to be my administrator password. Probably my error in overlooking something.

Feb 4, 2023 11:49 AM in response to Roger2

Do you use multiple user accounts? Primarily a standard limited user and a second admin privileged account.

Most people have one admin account that is their primary account.

Mostly see limited user primary accounts with secondary admin accounts in enterprise managed environments.

There are some gotchas as the very first account you create on a newly installed Mac is special. It contains a secure token. If you create accounts from this 1st account and grant admin rights that account receives the secure token. But if you add an admin account say via script it may be missing the secure token. That can cause weird issues.

Try logging out of your primary account and logging in with the admin account and then check for updates.

update password failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.