You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Connected” hubs in HomeKit

(1) Why did Apple remove the ability for HomeKit users to designate which of their devices is the preferred “Connected hub”? Ideally all the hubs and bridges listed in the Home app should be able to be prioritized in order of preference, in the event the #1 choice goes down.

(2) How does HomeKit and the Home app determine which hub is selected to be the primary Connected one? Is the decision made randomly, or by recency, or some other algorithm? The choice of the wrong device can have disruptive results, e.g. when the distance from an arbitrarily-selected Connected hub is farther from some or all accessories or bridges to connect properly.

Here’s some background to these questions from my particular situation:

It used to be that you could tell HomeKit which of your devices (AppleTVs, HomePods, HomePod minis, desktop computers) should serve as your Connected hub.

But in recent updates, it appears this important functionality has been removed, and the HomeKit app instead runs some sort of algorithm to choose which device should be the Connected one (while others show as on Standby or otherwise active playing music etc.).

This change wreaked havoc in my Home system after I installed a new HomePod mini and upgraded everything to 16.3. All of my non-Apple connected HomeKit devices showed “No response” after the installations and upgrades. This included both Philips Hue devices and outlet plugs from iDevices.

The accessories could be managed via their native apps, but not in the Home app, and not via Siri. My AppleTVs and HomePod/HomePod minis continued to work for music, weather, etc., but could not be used for turning lights on and off, etc.

Initially, at the suggestion of an Apple tech, I tried de-installing my Philips bridge, reinstalling it, and adding all my devices back manually (a giant PITA). This did not improve anything.

After another service call, I noticed that my brand new HomePod mini was chosen by HomeKit as the Connected hub among my total of 7 hubs, even though it is by far the furthest from my router (and in fact is in a separate building). It could be reached from the Home app to do things like check the temperature, but it seemed unable to communicate with all of my accessories, and thus causing the No Response status for them.

A third Apple tech theorized that this was because the new Mini was jumping from a second router in the outbuilding, downstream of my main router in the house. He felt that perhaps HomeKit was finding the connection between the Mini and this secondary router was particularly strong and thus picking it. However, that made little sense since my Hue bridge and AppleTV 4K are hardwired to my router in the main house, and thus have the best connection.

In reading some older threads, I now believe the cause is a Bluetooth issue—that the Mini in my outbuilding is out of range of the devices via Bluetooth. I’m not an IT pro, so I could be totally wrong here. But I noticed in an old, closed thread regarding a similar problem, someone stated that:

One of these devices becomes the connected HomeKit hub randomly, the rest are in standby and the problem is that some of the HomeKit devices are using Bluetooth LTE and for some Apple TVs are too far away.

This comment was from 2022, so it appears this issue has been known to Apple for some time. We need a fix, ideally a simple one which allows the user to say either “treat this hudb as Connected first,” or “Connect in this sequence, or “never use that hub which is too distant from the rest.”

Unfortunately the only solution I have right now is to just not use the new Mini ($99 purchase) in my outbuilding. Unplugging it from that location is the only “fix” I’ve found, after three support calls, which is kind of like curing a headache with decapitation...

HomePod mini, 16

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:31 AM

You might be right, but the Apple techs I spoke with seemed to have the same recollection as me.

Either way, it’s the same problem: There does not appear to be any logic to how one hub gets selected as Connected, and the software should allow users to override its choice. (Presumably there is a decision tree for choosing the Connected device, but my system has managed to pick the worst option out of 7.)

I already spent hours and hours working on this and talking with Apple, with the only resolution being “don’t use the new Mini in your barn.” There may be some IT workaround, but Apple has always been about *not* requiring users to become gearheads to use their products. (Note: Apple user since the ][.)

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2023 10:31 AM in response to Vancouver22

You might be right, but the Apple techs I spoke with seemed to have the same recollection as me.

Either way, it’s the same problem: There does not appear to be any logic to how one hub gets selected as Connected, and the software should allow users to override its choice. (Presumably there is a decision tree for choosing the Connected device, but my system has managed to pick the worst option out of 7.)

I already spent hours and hours working on this and talking with Apple, with the only resolution being “don’t use the new Mini in your barn.” There may be some IT workaround, but Apple has always been about *not* requiring users to become gearheads to use their products. (Note: Apple user since the ][.)

Feb 6, 2023 10:53 AM in response to S. S. Pratt

I just don’t recall it ever being an option. Like I said submit the feedback and perhaps they can change it. They don’t read the forums so it’s the only way to get their attention. Mine is now connected to my worst OG HomePod!

One more thing worth mentioning is the Home Architecture upgrade that was released. Apple paused it while not all devices or Home users got the chance to install it and until they bring it back to fix HomeKit, it’s impossible to isolate what is causing any issues. We’d both be wasting our time with any troubleshooting steps. HomeKit got messed up for a lot of users. I don’t think I installed it so mine is ok.

‘Any device that is connected to an upgraded home and not running the latest software will lose access to the home until the device is updated. This includes people that you invite to control your home”

See: Upgrade to the new Home architecture - Apple Support

In the meantime you might want to control your Hue Lighting using the Hue App. It’s more reliable imo. This goes for any other smart accessories- use their Apps.

Feb 8, 2023 3:43 AM in response to Vancouver22

I’m not using any Apple devices “outside.” Not sure why you’d misdirect the convo that way, but whatever. As stated, the Mini was in an outbuilding which I keep always above freezing and more usually between 45-55 degrees when not in use. I’ve now removed it because it was not working as hoped.

Since you raised it, the Mini specs page says Minis can be used between 32-95 degrees:

HomePod mini - Technical Specifications - Apple

I don’t see any info there on how accurate it is within that temp range, but some sites indicate its thermometer is not accurate below the high 50s.

Anyway, again: Apple’s own techs seem to be surprised not to find this option in the Home menus. Either way, issues have been rampant with updates for the past 1-2 years, causing havoc among accessories which previously were stable. Apple has yet to address it.

If the latest update was meant as a corrective, they did not provide the usual notes on what 16.3.1 is intended to fix. Weird.

A big reason Apple grew and grew under Jobs was that you generally didn’t have to experiment with crazy workarounds to get stuff to work. I started out as a kid learning to program AppleSoft on early Apple ][ models which my gradeschool managed to obtain, so I’m comfortable tinkering. But 99.8% of consumers aren’t. When tons of people are doing odd stuff like scheduling their Minis to cycle on and off daily at 3 am to try to force their AppleTV to be the main connected hub, that’s a symptom of a real problem, and a feature people want.

My guess is that Apple is loathe to allow current users to select the Connected hub may have something to do with Thread or other Bluetooth considerations. But all they have to do is have a pop-up warning that manually selecting your own central hub may have unexpected network results, then let those who want this option to do so at their own risk. One could always restore it to the default method later.

Feb 6, 2023 11:32 AM in response to S. S. Pratt

Note: Just an hour or so ago, Apple released the 16.3.1 update. Not sure what it will fix, if anything, but looking forward to seeing if it improves my situation at all. I can’t find any public release notes, but MacWorld reports:

The patch notes simply state that the software “includes general performance and stability updates.” There are no new security patches listed on Apple’s security updates page. Some users have been complaining about smart home performance since 16.3 arrived in late January and these updates to the two devices that can act as a Home hub are likely to address some of those. There are reports that Apple has been testing iOS 16.3.1 as well, so that update could arrive shortly.

I also have been experimenting with plugging in the outbuilding Mini while my AppleTV 4K in the house is on an selected by the system as Connected. When bringing the Mini back online, it didn’t force itself to become the Connected hub (yet). I then turned off the AppleTV 4K, and after 15 minutes it still shows as Connected. Possibly some functions remain active in the background even when not technically on? An Apple tech thought not, but that’s what it’s showing for now.

My concern is that over time, as devices go on and off, and network downtime or power outages occur, that the problem Mini in the outbuilding may manage to jump to the top of the list again and cause my accessories to become unresponsive.

Feb 6, 2023 11:35 AM in response to Vancouver22

Yes, to deal with the problem I was using the native apps (for Hue and iDevices) on my phone, but this is really not ideal—my partner and I mainly turn lights and scenes off with Siri voice commands. She does not even have the apps installed to controlled them. Being able to use Siri with HomeKit is central to its functionality, so I hope Apple fixes things.

Feb 6, 2023 11:45 AM in response to S. S. Pratt

It’s a theory but I really don’t know. It was a good theory during that architectural upgrade as some got it while others didn’t. I refreshed the page on that first to see if it still says “ returning soon”. I don’t want mine messed up! I’m installing now and hope it fixes my ARC issues on the tv. Apple TV has an update as well.

Feb 6, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Vancouver22

Hi, on AppleTV 4Ks it was an option. I have three of them. 1x 2021 version and 2x 2017 version. You could disable hub function on AppleTVs.

I know this cause I had to disable most AppleTVs in my home, forcing the Homepod mini in my hall (the only apple homekit hub near my Nuki Bluetooth door lock) to be the active hub, minimising connection issues to Nuki lock v3 pro.

Homekit new architecture in 16.2 totally broke this setup. Now I have 4 hubs that randomly decide which one is the active hub. And when that’s not the homepod mini next to my nuki lock (which does have wifi built in, but apple refuses to communicate with security devices like Niki locks over wifi, forcing Bluetooth, doh!) then connections to the nuki lock time out often.

It’s time apple explains this design change. It’s a bit to black box for my liking now.

16.3.1 (homepod and appletv) did not fix this.

Feb 6, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Vancouver22

I see ambiguous info on this topic online. For example, a 2021 article at the link below, claims that you can select, which HomePod is the hub:

https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-make-your-apple-tv-homepod-or-ipad-homekit-hub#HomePod

A 2019 article at another site said you could do it by deauthorizing hubs in their own settings menus (e.g. an iPad via iCloud) until your preferred hub was the only one left, then turning the other hubs back on afterward:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-change-primary-home-hub.2189650/

You even have people putting their HomePods on Eve smart plugs so they can schedule them to regularly power off and on, in hopes of it keeping their AppleTVs as primary hubs more often.

Bottom line: Apple needs to fix this.

Right now (after the 16.3.1 update) my AppleTV 4K is sitting pretty as the Connected hub. But the Mini in the Barn has stopped reporting the temperature and humidity, the main reason I got it.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Feb 7, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Vancouver22

Interesting how you’ve gone from “I’m not sure that’s correct” to “I am absolutely 100% sure it’s not correct and it’s really important me to keep saying so.”

HomeKit was introduced in 2014, nine years ago. Have you used every single version of the software?

I can report that the three Apple techs I spoke with each initially instructed me to go to the Hubs menu and change which one I wanted to be the central connected hub.

When I pointed out to them that wasn’t an option in the Hubs menu, they all were surprised. Two of them actually asked me to do screen sharing with them to see whether what I was seeing was right.

Why do Apple techs also remember this feature?

In any case, it appears that the temperature sensor on the HomePod Mini is only accurate in warmer rooms. They get the temperature right in my house, where rooms vary from 67 to 70°. In my outbuilding, which I only heat above 45° when I’m actually using it, the sensor is extremely inaccurate. I have other traditional thermometers that I’ve tested against it, and in the cold the Mini records the temperature a good 10-12° above actual. If it’s 40, it’ll report something like 50.

So in the end, I’m not gonna be able to use this Mini for remote temperature checks and alerts. I’ll have to either return it, or use it somewhere else in my main house. That’s too bad; Apple really should get these things running more seamlessly.

Feb 7, 2023 11:13 AM in response to S. S. Pratt

I was being polite if I said I don’t believe you could ever switch Hubs. I’ve only been trying to help you.

HomeKit came out earlier than HomePod. I got the HomePods in 2018, when they first came out. I have 4 OGs , 3 minis and 2 of the new Gen 2.

What happens when you tap on a Hub? Does it switch to the Hub of your choice? I get nothing, as do hundreds of others. Do a search for switching Hubs. There’s been plenty of posts on the topic over the years. People seem to have some theory one works better than another. It doesn’t. Half the time it can be the wifi. They don’t do well with Dual Bands. However we really never know what causes them to fail for certain features.

I’ve not paid much attention to the temperature sensors. They aren’t supposed to be used outside, you can look up the operating specs on that as to operating temperatures. My wifi doesn’t reach across my yard anyways, so it would be no use to me for this purpose. I live in a very wet climate and they would take on moisture, then mold.

“Connected” hubs in HomeKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.